Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Bedsharing-kinda OT (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1515693)

babyike2011 05-09-2013 11:03 AM

Bedsharing-kinda OT

I know a lot of you ladies bed share/co sleep, so how to handle doctors? My youngest lo is 3 months old and the first baby I have breastfed, and it's much easier to bed share with her and we are safe about it. That being said, she has had a few breathing episodes where she can't breathe. They're pretty sure it's reflux. She had a few episodes this morning and I took her to the doctor. They want her to be kept in a bouncy when not being held and to keep a close eye on her at all times, yet they told me to put her in her crib to sleep at night. I told them no way but they gave me a bunch of crap. He hats a good way to handle this?

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

tibeca 05-09-2013 11:15 AM

Re: Bedsharing-kinda OT

Your baby, your decision.

You hired your doctor. You can fire your doctor. That said, I provided documentation to my doctor about safe cosleeping. I explained that this is what works for my family, that it wasn't open for discussion. That was the last time I heard ANYTHING about it and was over 2 1/2 years ago and we've since had another child.

If you're dealing with reflux at night, you could try sleeping baby on your chest, while you sleep semi reclined. Worked great for my babies until they were so heavy I felt like I couldn't breathe. ;) But mine are super chunks and weight about 12 lbs at 1 month old.

qsefthuko 05-09-2013 11:34 AM

I tend to just nod my head and go oh yeah and leave it at that. I haven't agreed with them but they think I have. Then I do whatever I please to do.

However, since you have already let the cat out of the bag I would do as pp suggested and take them the info about safe co-sleeping. I also like the suggestion of sleeping upright. I did this with ds1 when he had whooping cough.

Sigkap714 05-09-2013 11:45 AM

I would just nod, say you'll follow orders, and then leave those orders at the door. Next time you go and they ask if you're still bedsharing just say no and leave it at that. It's not like they have cameras in your home and you're not doing anything wrong.

babyike2011 05-09-2013 11:53 AM

True, I don't have to share with them:) I normally don't let them know where the kids sleep and what not, I was just rambling on about her behaviors and it just slipped out. Of course she went on typing away after she gave me my lecture, so now its probably in her chart. Guess I just needed an it's ok from someone other than my 2 year old, lol.

l_Kimmie_l 05-09-2013 12:20 PM

My pedi knows we bedshare and I know she rather we didn't. Since it has been 13 months now and we also battled reflux, she knows we will not change. Do not worry about it. It is much easier to nurse at night and sleep with a bedsharing baby in my opinion. I slept with baby under my arm so that he was slightly elevated. We still sleep that way 13 months later. It really helped my boy. He was also on meds for his reflux. This is very common in newbies as their little systems are still developing. My son out grew it by 6 months.

twinpossible 05-09-2013 07:28 PM

We had family bed with our twins until I got pregnant with #3 and now she is in bed with us. I agree that sleeping upright helps and docs do not know everything ;)

babyike2011 05-09-2013 08:23 PM

She likes to sleep on her side, left side only. She nurses to sleep at the same time every night and sleeps really good on her side snuggled with me. The doc wants her on her back, for SIDS, but she loses her breathe when on her back, almost like she can't breathe. Scares the poo outta me!!! My anxiety is through the roof:(

kelpie169 05-09-2013 08:36 PM

Smile, nod, "oh, okay doctor!"...do what you want.

Catbutt Diapers 05-09-2013 08:40 PM

When Lulu was stuffed up and having trouble breathing, we put the bouncy chair in her co-sleeper bassinet beside the bed