Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   How much does your 1ish baby drink? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1516669)

tmrobinson 05-13-2013 10:38 AM

How much does your 1ish baby drink?

My dd is 15 months and I feel like she isn't drinking enough. I think it's partly my fault since I some times forget to give her her sippy cup. The sippy cup was a constant companion with my oldest at this age and with dd #2. There is 3 years between #2 and #3 so I had gotten used to them being able to ask for a drink if they were thirsty. The baby will all of a sudden get really cranky and then it will dawn on me she hasn't had anything to drink in awhile so I give her a cup and she downs the whole thing. On a light day she will only go through 4 diapers and I just keep thinking she should be going more than that. I change her when she first gets up in the morning and if she doesn't poop her diaper will only be a little wet when I change her before lunch and again before afternoon nap.

mrseum 05-13-2013 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tmrobinson
My dd is 15 months and I feel like she isn't drinking enough. I think it's partly my fault since I some times forget to give her her sippy cup. The sippy cup was a constant companion with my oldest at this age and with dd #2. There is 3 years between #2 and #3 so I had gotten used to them being able to ask for a drink if they were thirsty. The baby will all of a sudden get really cranky and then it will dawn on me she hasn't had anything to drink in awhile so I give her a cup and she downs the whole thing. On a light day she will only go through 4 diapers and I just keep thinking she should be going more than that. I change her when she first gets up in the morning and if she doesn't poop her diaper will only be a little wet when I change her before lunch and again before afternoon nap.

I can't really answer that because I still nursed both mine at 1. Are you possibly nursing/still giving bottles too? I would just be sure to leave a sippy at her level so that whenever she is thirsty she can grab a drink- but still be sure to offer her a cup of milk at the times you usually do. I think 4 wet diapers a day is fine. If her poop is hard then I would say she is probably constipated & you should try to offer more; but if that isn't a problem either I wouldn't be too concerned. Some of us (kids & adults- like ds1 and I) just don't feel the need to drink too often. Others do.

l_Kimmie_l 05-13-2013 11:01 AM

Re: How much does your 1ish baby drink?

Mine is still nursing at 13 months old. I might give a sippy for fun here and there. He has normal poops so I know he is not dehydrated. I might offer a drink more often, but I do not think it is a must.

hollydawn 05-13-2013 08:38 PM

My Lo is a little older, 19 months. I offer him a sippy of milk when he wakes. He doesn't always drink it all. I always leave a sippy of water on the floor and offer water with snack and meals. He still drinks a bottle before nap and bed and one in the motn. I would say on average his daily fluid intake is 25 oz or so.

cytherea 05-14-2013 12:02 AM

My DS is also 15m. He drinks 1-2 cups of water a day, on average, plus nursing twice a day, but I try to always make sure he has a full cup available to him, both in his crib and in the playpen, in addition to at meals. I don't force the issue; he'll drink if he's thirsty and won't if he isn't.

If your DD is getting fussy and downing a whole cup of water when it's offered, have you tried just making sure there're cups around for her and see what she does with them?