Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   All Things Carseats (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   Britax Parkway SG or SGL? Or other lightweight booster? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1517167)

ssand23 05-15-2013 09:50 AM

Britax Parkway SG or SGL? Or other lightweight booster?
 
We need a lightweight 2nd seat. Both my son and I have health issues (so we often get rides to drs appts) and I can't physically move our main seat, a Britax Boulevard since it's too heavy at 19.5 lbs. There are some appts where I need to remove the car seat from the car and bring it in with us. I was looking at these 2 since they fit the bill as they are under 10 lbs (an generally known to be safe seats). Aside from the latch at the bottom on the SGL, is there some other features I'm missing?

My son is 3 1/2, 45 lbs and 43 inches tall. We tried out the Graco Turbo boosters in the store but the bottom of the seats have zero padding and my son was crying that the seat hurt his butt. He has a severe sensory processing disorder (among a list of other things) and at times, we will be spending 5+ hours in the car in a day traveling to the hospital with him so a comfortable seat is important. Really the Frontier would be awesome but it's as heavy as the Boulevard. I did check out the Parkway in the store and the seat seems reasonably comfortable but I am going to go back and try it again just to make sure before buying. We live very close to a Buy Buy Baby store and a Babies R Us, as well as Target and Walmart though given the prices online, I'll probably order the seat to save $$.

I am open to other seat ideas. They just need to be light and comfy (and of course, safe). We travel in a variety of cars (our insurance sends a car service for long distance trips) so it would need to be a seat that generally fits in most vehicles. The max price I can manage is really $130.

monica-m 05-15-2013 10:06 AM

Re: Britax Parkway SG or SGL? Or other lightweight booster?
 
It doesn't matter what brand, a belt positioning booster seat is not an appropriate seat for a child under 4. They just don't have the bone maturity for the seat belt to properly protect them. They also don't have the emotional maturity to stay in position. The Britax boosters also have a minimum age of 4.

As far as "generally known to be safe" seats, ALL seats on the market are generally known to be safe when properly used. They all pass the same testing. Some seats have better convenience features, better marketing, or better urban legends following them around and those things do not make them safer.

Lighter weight options for a harnessed seat for your DS would be:

Safety 1st Go 8 lbs - this seat could be a really good fit for your situation. It does require a top tether and the install is MUCH easier if you use the lower LATCH anchors instead of the seat belt to install. There is a tech on car-seat.org that is trying to sell one for $100 (I think)

Evenflo SecureKid 300/400 12.4 lbs can be found for under $150.

Evenflo SureRide 9 lbs - this seat is a convertible but it has higher top slots than any other seat other than the Frontier and can be found for under $100

stringbean02 05-15-2013 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monica-m
It doesn't matter what brand, a belt positioning booster seat is not an appropriate seat for a child under 4. They just don't have the bone maturity for the seat belt to properly protect them. They also don't have the emotional maturity to stay in position. The Britax boosters also have a minimum age of 4.

As far as "generally known to be safe" seats, ALL seats on the market are generally known to be safe when properly used. They all pass the same testing.

Lighter weight options for a harnessed seat for your DS would be:

Safety 1st Go 8 lbs - this seat could be a really good fit for your situation. It does require a top tether and the install is MUCH easier if you use the lower LATCH anchors instead of the seat belt to install. There is a tech on car-seat.org that is trying to sell one for $100 (I think)

Evenflo SecureKid 300/400 12.4 lbs can be found for under $150.

Evenflo SureRide 9 lbs - this seat is a convertible but it has higher top slots than any other seat other than the Frontier and can be found for under $100

I 2nd all this mama/fellow tech said :)

ssand23 05-15-2013 10:28 AM

Re: Britax Parkway SG or SGL? Or other lightweight booster?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by monica-m (Post 16595655)
It doesn't matter what brand, a belt positioning booster seat is not an appropriate seat for a child under 4. They just don't have the bone maturity for the seat belt to properly protect them. They also don't have the emotional maturity to stay in position. The Britax boosters also have a minimum age of 4.

As far as "generally known to be safe" seats, ALL seats on the market are generally known to be safe when properly used. They all pass the same testing. Some seats have better convenience features, better marketing, or better urban legends following them around and those things do not make them safer.

Lighter weight options for a harnessed seat for your DS would be:

Safety 1st Go 8 lbs - this seat could be a really good fit for your situation. It does require a top tether and the install is MUCH easier if you use the lower LATCH anchors instead of the seat belt to install. There is a tech on car-seat.org that is trying to sell one for $100 (I think)

Evenflo SecureKid 300/400 12.4 lbs can be found for under $150.

Evenflo SureRide 9 lbs - this seat is a convertible but it has higher top slots than any other seat other than the Frontier and can be found for under $100

Thank you! Those sound like much better options. I wasn't thrilled about going harness free. Amazon has the Evenflo SecureKid 300 for $99.99!

I don't know if all the cars we will ride in will have the tether or one that we can access. I know our car does but is that a standard option in all cars? The car that picked us up last week seemed to be about 10 years old.

I am going to get some more specific measurements on ds when he is home from school later. He has a very long torso and shorter legs and I know that can make a difference with car seats. I am also going to see what we can find in local stores for him to try out. Buy Buy Baby and BRU have options to test the seats in the store (they have the fake back seat so you can buckle it in yourself) and that would be the biggest help for him so we don't get stuck in the car for a few hours with him getting upset that the seat is uncomfortable. And really would help me too with practicing the install. I need to be able to install these seats in a minute or two with ds next to me in a stroller.

monica-m 05-15-2013 10:31 AM

Re: Britax Parkway SG or SGL? Or other lightweight booster?
 
The SecureKid is taller than the Boulevard so I think you'll be good on height :thumbsup:

Computermama 05-15-2013 01:06 PM

Re: Britax Parkway SG or SGL? Or other lightweight booster?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ssand23 (Post 16595708)
Thank you! Those sound like much better options. I wasn't thrilled about going harness free. Amazon has the Evenflo SecureKid 300 for $99.99!

I don't know if all the cars we will ride in will have the tether or one that we can access. I know our car does but is that a standard option in all cars? The car that picked us up last week seemed to be about 10 years old.

I am going to get some more specific measurements on ds when he is home from school later. He has a very long torso and shorter legs and I know that can make a difference with car seats. I am also going to see what we can find in local stores for him to try out. Buy Buy Baby and BRU have options to test the seats in the store (they have the fake back seat so you can buckle it in yourself) and that would be the biggest help for him so we don't get stuck in the car for a few hours with him getting upset that the seat is uncomfortable. And really would help me too with practicing the install. I need to be able to install these seats in a minute or two with ds next to me in a stroller.

Top tethers are part of the LATCH system and are required in all vehicles manufactured past 2002. Some older cars have them as well, as it was well known it was going to *eventually* be required, but definitely all 2002 and later ones have them. It may be a bit of a lark to find them, and not all seating placements will necessarily have one, but there will be at least one and usually at least two in the vehicle. The Go is an odd bird that it requires it, most seats do not, and it's an optional in the US to use it at all. In Canada it's law that we must use the top tether.

TalkinBoutMyGirl 05-15-2013 01:23 PM

Re: Britax Parkway SG or SGL? Or other lightweight booster?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Computermama (Post 16596221)
Top tethers are part of the LATCH system and are required in all vehicles manufactured past 2002. Some older cars have them as well, as it was well known it was going to *eventually* be required, but definitely all 2002 and later ones have them. It may be a bit of a lark to find them, and not all seating placements will necessarily have one, but there will be at least one and usually at least two in the vehicle. The Go is an odd bird that it requires it, most seats do not, and it's an optional in the US to use it at all. In Canada it's law that we must use the top tether.

Hey now! Don't go calling my Go an odd bird *pouts* :giggle2:

OP..I am the tech that Monica was referring to with the GoHybrid. If you cannot guarantee that you'll be in a car with LATCH I would not recommend it. Just for giggles I tried installing it the other day with the seat belt and ummm yeah that wasn't happening AT ALL. Maybe if someone had belt stalks that were suuuuuuper short but mine aren't. The SK for 99 sounds like a fantastic deal!

monica-m 05-15-2013 02:02 PM

Re: Britax Parkway SG or SGL? Or other lightweight booster?
 
Interesting factoid, according to FMVSS213 all forward facing seats in the US must pass testing with and without the top tether. The Go is classified as a vest because it does not have a shell and therefore is exempt from the tether rule. It has a different set of standards to meet, the same set of standards the Ride Safer Travel Vest and other vests have to meet.

I love our Go. I keep it in its carry bag in my cargo well in case I end up with an extra kid. I also keep a Harmony backless back there for the same reason.

TalkinBoutMyGirl 05-15-2013 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monica-m
Interesting factoid, according to FMVSS213 all forward facing seats in the US must pass testing with and without the top tether. The Go is classified as a vest because it does not have a shell and therefore is exempt from the tether rule. It has a different set of standards to meet, the same set of standards the Ride Safer Travel Vest and other vests have to meet.

I love our Go. I keep it in its carry bag in my cargo well in case I end up with an extra kid. I also keep a Harmony backless back there for the same reason.

I love factoids. I go back and forth daily on keeping the Go. It is nice to have and I actually LURVE it but not sure I want it as an everyday seat for DD. I think I may pm you with some random questions about it and puzzling :)

monica-m 05-15-2013 03:09 PM

Re: Britax Parkway SG or SGL? Or other lightweight booster?
 
Go for it. I have limited experience with puzzling it but I can tell you what has worked for me so far.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:43 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vB.Sponsors