Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Travelling around 30 weeks? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1519397)

RainandRedemption 05-24-2013 09:18 AM

Travelling around 30 weeks?

Have you done it? How did it go? What can you suggest?

We have a trip planned next week and Im not 100% how I feel about it. I got really freaked out last week with spotting quite a bit and having lots of BHs every time I left the house for anything. Thankfully it turned out to be a bacterial infection and my cervix is long/closed and fine. But Im still a little worried it might be too much. We went to the beach yesterday and turtle rehab center, it was an hour drive, just me and the kids... when we got home my stomach hurt so bad I could stand up straight for a few minutes, then I was having so many BHs I had to sit down and drink 4 bottles of water before I felt fine again. Im on day 3 of the meds they gave me for the infection..

So the trip is 28 hours of driving round trip, well be staying in a hotel, and of course, there will be tons going on. The idea is that I would take it easy. But with ds being enrolled in a summer camp 4 days that week, a friends wedding, and on top of that we have tons of friends and family there who well want to get together with. Realistically its going to be a lot of running around. And I tend to neglect my own needs. When I "take it easy", I usually really don't.

Thoughts? tia!

eta~ it is an option for me to stay home that week, and dh would take the kids. Not my favorite option but maybe itd be best..

3 ladybugs 05-24-2013 09:27 AM

Re: Travelling around 30 weeks?

How has your pregnancy been in general? Have you had anything to worry about so far?

If not then I would probably go, but tell your DH that if you are tired you are going to sit out. Don't over do things. I am 30w1d right now and I am pushing off things around the house today because I just can't get the energy (slept awful last night). You should do that too.

Good luck with your decision. I would be afraid that if I stayed home I would feel awful that I wasn't helping DH. So that is your call.

RainandRedemption 05-24-2013 10:19 AM

It has been normal and healthy, except for a yeast infection that I used 2 different things to treat, and then a bacterial infection, those were about2 months ago. Then this current bacterial infection that really gave me a scare with the spotting and contractions. But otherwise everythings been fine.

I guess Im worried about 1. the drive. For the past few weeks every time we go anywhere with a decent drive I have a lot of BHs and usually need a bath to get them to stop.

2. I tend to neglect to care for myself. Not getting enough water/not sitting/ lifting the kids when I shouldn't/etc. I can see myself being in a lot of situations where I wont feel like Ill have a choice but to overdo it. Like at MILs. She is superwoman and does EVERYthing ALL the time. Shes like me and the cost is she doesn't take care of herself and has multiple health issues because of it. I don't want to be like her (in the neglect of self part) but being around her makes me feel VERY guilty if Im taking it easy.
Also, vising people with non kid proofed houses, or sometimes in just regular circumstances, dh gets caught up in the "visiting" and leaves all the child chasing to me. I can really see the same thing happening this visit, even if I tell him I NEED to take it easy. He often just doesn't think to do things like take dd to pee, make sure they don't touch breakables, keep them from climbing the banister, etc. And he just wanders off leaving them to me, and Id just see it as easier to do it myself rather than track him down, ask him to do it, then feel guilty for "nagging"
Same thing for like, walking down the street or grocery shopping. He doesn't think to keep the kids near us/not acting crazy, and if *I* don't make sure they hold hands while walking, or stay near the cart/calm in a store, they end up running totally amuck while he walks off to look at cookies or sausages. And Im left with the cart, the shopping, and keeping the kids.

mcpforever 05-24-2013 02:30 PM

Get yourself some support hose and under belly support and go. I did a DC trip at 28 weeks that involved being on my feet and going all day every day. It was good for me and I found that I slept really well at night. I ate when everyone else ate and there were lots of snacks and restroom breaks for the 5th graders. If you are diligent about feeding the kids, then you can grab yourself something as well. And nap with whichever one(s) nap. If you have to, make the kids stay in whatever area you are in so you can keep a proper eye on them from a semi reclined position. ;) Call them "Mommy's pregnancy rules."

I am the same way about neglecting myself, but for some reason, taking me out of my element makes me more aware of maintaining myself so that I am useful. ;)

stevensmom 05-24-2013 02:33 PM

just take care of yourself...I'd probably go...but at the first sign of something wrong ... rest.

Drink bunches of water, and get up and move every few hours

:hugs: have fun :)

--------------

I am taking weekly trips (weekends to our lake house) for the summer. 2 hr drive to the place and 2 hrs back. Will be doing that until I'm 38 weeks. I put a stop to it for the last remaining 2 weeks because my kids like to show up early :giggle2:

We know where the nearest hospital is (albeit 45 minutes away) and I'll be bringing my doppler every time.

3 ladybugs 05-24-2013 04:50 PM

I don't think I would go unless you can talk to your DH and make him realize that you need to rest. I understand the need to be "superwoman" I really do. But pregnancy I become selfish. Yes it is all about me and growing the baby inside me.

If you think it might be more stressful to go rather then stay at home, then I would also stay at home. Overdoing it is NEVER a good idea. Trust me I learned the hard way.

ktktbird 05-26-2013 03:08 AM

It sounds like you already have a pretty strong feeling about it. I would trust your gut and do what you need to do to keep you and the baby healthy. Maybe it would be good for your DH to experience child care himself so he would have a little more empathy for you! Hope you have a peace about it one way or another!

Monkey317 06-07-2013 01:07 PM

We've taken a few 30hr round trips so far in this pregnancy and you really need to listen to your body. Drink water constantly, you'll have to make more stops to go to the bathroom but its good for circulation to get up and walk around. Take lots of healthy snacks to keep your energy up-nuts, fruits (fresh or dried), cheese sticks, etc. sleep when you can, and have your husband pick up the kids when needed. As far as when you get there, continue to listen to your body. Your family and friends should understand if you're not up for activities and such all of the time so rest before you start feeling terrible.

RainandRedemption 06-13-2013 07:59 AM

This was a while ago but I just wanted to come back and say thanks for the replies. I've been really really busy and things just now settled down. Dh and I talked and he committed to helping me take it easy...,. The rest of the family was not so understanding and a lot of things that were supposed to be small turned into ginormous events.,, but dh really did come through and take pressure off me for things with the kids and stuff:) It was a really great trip I'm really glad I did go. Although I'm ridiculously happy to be back home now and chilling :)

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

Pixi6s 06-13-2013 10:16 AM

Think about taking care of yourself is taking care of your little one, not necessarily you. That baby needs tending to.