Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   What would you do differently? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1522591)

EmmaGM 06-06-2013 08:37 AM

This is a topic that has been frequently on my mind since the birth of my son and now that I'm expecting again I'm really dwelling on it. What would/did you do differently during pregnancy, labor, birth, the first few weeks or months or the whole first year?

These are my biggies:

1. Hire a doula.
2. Dh is staying home from work for the first 2-3 weeks.
3. I hope to have my placenta encapsulated and/or TAKE THE DRUGS if I develop ppd again :(
4. Say no to the pitocin. Even if I need an induction again, they can get me started and then turn that evil **** off.
5. Say no to my evil in-laws instead of dragging my birth-injured butt and my constantly screaming newborn to their house so they could see him everyday.
6. Stay more active during my pregnancy.
7. Take the dang zofran.

evasimone 06-06-2013 08:44 AM

Re: What would you do differently?

Congratulations!

I guess I have three:
1) push slower and try to avoid a tear.
2) buy bigger electrodes for my TENS unit
3) drink something when I am in labor even if I don't want to. I was a cracker at the end of my labor last time.

Pixi6s 06-06-2013 09:27 AM

Something I would recommend doing, if you haven't already, is talk with your husband about previous births. I wouldn't say I had regrets but some things about my son's birth didn't make since in my mind, I didn't quite understand why things happens the way I remember it. There were a few things I wanted to talk to the birth center about before we chose them again because what I remember seemed to go against what they "stand for", just slightly.

It was great that we remembered our son's birth they same but through a very different position. He really helped me to understand the order in which some things happen and why they happened the way they did. I was completely comfortable going back to the birth center confident that the midwives did a terrific job instead of just a great job.

It was a little sad that it took us 3 years to talk about it. Though it was nice reminiscing. It had been on my mind more frequently since we started thinking about getting pregnant again, so we should have at least talked about it then. Even though we aren't planning to have a third I will need to remember to "reminisce" about this birth before it's too far out.

Other things I want to change:
1. More skin to skin time right after birth and the in following months
2. Start EC earlier (within first 3 months)
3. Get out of the house more.
4. Cloth diaper from first diaper if possible
5. Be a little more supportive of my mother and her flaws. Even though I push her away she has still been the best help we could have.
6. Find more patience for both my kids

My affirmations also include birthing at the birth center and not having the child instantly taken from me when baby pops out, but in the end that just depends on the situation.

EmmaGM 06-06-2013 09:43 AM

That's a great idea. I don't think we've ever talked about it which is pretty strange considering the negative feelings I have about it.

Pixi6s 06-06-2013 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EmmaGM (Post 16655864)
That's a great idea. I don't think we've ever talked about it which is pretty strange considering the negative feelings I have about it.

Yes then talk with him, even if to see another point of view of how the birth went. Maybe he'll open your eyes to something you weren't able to see. GL

Sarah-B 06-06-2013 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evasimone
Congratulations!

I guess I have three:
1) push slower and try to avoid a tear.
2) buy bigger electrodes for my TENS unit
3) drink something when I am in labor even if I don't want to. I was a cracker at the end of my labor last time.

What's a TENS unit ?

evasimone 06-06-2013 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarah-B (Post 16656112)
What's a TENS unit ?

It stands for transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulator. It's generally used in PT because it confuses the way your brain interprets pain signals. That's a super simplified explanation. They use it frequently in England during labor. I used it during mine and loooovvved it.

I bought mine off of overstock.com for $30 no prescription needed.

EmmaGM 06-06-2013 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evasimone (Post 16656300)

It stands for transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulator. It's generally used in PT because it confuses the way your brain interprets pain signals. That's a super simplified explanation. They use it frequently in England during labor. I used it during mine and loooovvved it.

I bought mine off of overstock.com for $30 no prescription needed.

Very interesting... I'm going to have to look into this.

qsefthuko 06-06-2013 12:51 PM

The things I did differently with my second and third births.

1-eat and drink better
2-no one invited to the birth (my third I had out of town. Only my sister visited. I loved it that way)
3-get in better shape before getting pregnant.

EmmaGM 06-06-2013 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qsefthuko (Post 16656460)
The things I did differently with my second and third births.

1-eat and drink better
2-no one invited to the birth (my third I had out of town. Only my sister visited. I loved it that way)
3-get in better shape before getting pregnant.

I don't think I want visitors this time. Or anyone besides dh and the doula during labor and birth. I was so concerned with pleasing everyone else... Idk what was wrong with me.