Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Milkies (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1526520)

newtothis2 06-22-2013 11:22 PM

Milkies

Im just curious if anyone has used the milkies for collection of leaking milk? I nursed my dd and am expecting in july, have contemplated using these as i recall leaking quite a bit of milk into the disposable/resuable pads with my first. Im just not sure they are worth the cost.

Fishie Kisses 06-22-2013 11:26 PM

Re: Milkies

worth every last penny!!! I was able to get nearly an ounce at each feeding (I have a very forceful letdown)

kts1120 06-23-2013 05:23 AM

Very much worth it! I collected and extra 1 to 4 ounces a day using it.

newtothis2 06-23-2013 07:07 AM

Great! Thank you :)

juliasmom 06-23-2013 01:22 PM

I haven't used them myself, but I am interested in them. I have oversupply and leaked a ton from the other breast at letdown. I am sure I could've collected a good amount using these. My question...isn't it all foremilk? I don't think you would want to make your baby a bottle composed from a days worth of milk collected this way, right? So what is the best use for this milk...did you just mix an ounce or so with another pumping session that emptied the breast, only used it for cereal, etc?

Yarnjess 06-23-2013 01:35 PM

I used one to collect milk and donated it to a friend with IGT. I generally leaked for the entire nursing session, so there were multiple let downs and it didn't seem to be all foremilk. I also would hand express a bit from that side just to ensure it was t all foremilk after I was done nursing. They are super easy to use, though and worth it IMO.

newtothis2 06-23-2013 08:16 PM

Juliasmom, thats an excellent question! Glad you asked it.

Computermama 06-23-2013 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by juliasmom (Post 16701808)
I haven't used them myself, but I am interested in them. I have oversupply and leaked a ton from the other breast at letdown. I am sure I could've collected a good amount using these. My question...isn't it all foremilk? I don't think you would want to make your baby a bottle composed from a days worth of milk collected this way, right? So what is the best use for this milk...did you just mix an ounce or so with another pumping session that emptied the breast, only used it for cereal, etc?

Yes and no. Mother's milk doesn't just change to hind milk all of a sudden. The first little bit will be watery and it will gradually get more cream. I used it for occasional feedings - one feeding that's a little more watery is going to hurt baby. Probably wouldn't want all the feedings in a day to be collected milk, but one for a babysitter isn't a bad thing.

To the OP, I have one, don't use it anymore, but in the first few months I collected a good 3 day stash between that and occasional pumping. I wanted a stash just in case I got sick - prone to nasty migraines. I don't really leak any more and havn't for months - my nursling is nearly 14 mos.

TakeATumsForThat 06-27-2013 12:44 PM

I liked mine when I used it. I leaked at LEAST half an ounce every time I nursed. These days I usually pump the free side while nursing though.

And be careful not to forget about it. I can't tell you how many times I dumped milk down my front because I forgot I was wearing it.

thekuan 07-30-2013 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TakeATumsForThat
I liked mine when I used it. I leaked at LEAST half an ounce every time I nursed. These days I usually pump the free side while nursing though.

And be careful not to forget about it. I can't tell you how many times I dumped milk down my front because I forgot I was wearing it.

This. I dumped it on myself all the time, forgetting it was there. Take it out prior to detaching the baby from the other boob.