Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   WOHMs who breastfed toddlers (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1527604)

Mommy to Eli and Baby#2 06-27-2013 07:59 AM

WOHMs who breastfed toddlers

I will be going back to work when DD is a year old. I do want to continue nursing, though I anticipate her eating solids well by then.

For those who are doing/have done something similar, did you find you needed to pump to keep up supply for a nursing childer over 12 months?

mama2tommy 06-27-2013 08:38 AM

Re: WOHMs who breastfed toddlers

I have low supply, and I did *not* want to jeopardize what little I made by not pumping. So, I pumped at work for >2 years. I stopped when DS2 was around 2.4. He continued to nurse until he turned 3 and he decided he was done.

Arabesque 06-27-2013 08:42 AM

I nursed both kids after returning to work when they were a year old, and did not need to pump. I simply nursed in the morning, right when we got home, and again before bed.

Both nursed until they were about 15 or 16 months old. My supply probably would've held up longer, but I weaned them for different reasons.

danimdel 06-27-2013 08:48 AM

I stopped pumping soon after a year with both. Dd nurses until 15 months...I was preggo and dried up. Ds continued to nurse until 2 and I weaned him...supply wise I could have kept going but my supply was much better with him. I only woh part time though. Perhaps of I was worked full time I would have pulped longer.

mpink22 06-27-2013 10:02 AM

I stop pumping at a year and have no problem maintaing supply. I will say that I still leave to nurse at lunch though.

juliasmom 06-27-2013 10:08 AM

I had a similar experience to the PPs with DD1. She was eating lots of solids and drinking water and a bit of cows milk by 12-13 months. I stopped pumping entirely and still had plenty of milk to satisfy her the 3-4 times a day sh nursed. She self weaned at 15 months. Now I sah with my 13 mo DD2 and I would need to pump at least once to be away from her all day. She is a bit less interested in food and a lot more interested in nursing yhan her big sis was at this age. Just listen to your body and your baby.

Mommy to Eli and Baby#2 06-27-2013 11:38 AM

Thanks!

Covergirl 06-28-2013 01:20 PM

Not sure if this answers your question exactly:

For my DS1, I pumped at work 3X a day. I gradually dropped one pump starting @ 12-1/2 months, and dropped all the pumps by 14-1/2 months. My supply at home wasn't effected by dropping all pumps during the day at 14-1/2 months -- we're still nursing at 27 months.

Robin 06-28-2013 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arabesque (Post 16713163)
I nursed both kids after returning to work when they were a year old, and did not need to pump. I simply nursed in the morning, right when we got home, and again before bed.

Both nursed until they were about 15 or 16 months old. My supply probably would've held up longer, but I weaned them for different reasons.

Exactly my experience

PurpleDaffodil 06-28-2013 01:45 PM

Has anyone run into an issue with pumping at work after they are 12 months due to the law? I would like to continue to pump, but my employer isn't the most supportive and the law states your employer only has to allow time for you for the first year.