Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Almost 10 months and having issues....help ** edit new question** (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1529048)

PurpleDaffodil 07-03-2013 10:38 AM

Almost 10 months and having issues....help ** edit new question**

So DS is almost ten months old, we've had a good nursing relationship once we got over the big humps and got his reflux tackled. In the last few months its been great, he's nursing less, eating more I was so excited!

In the last week we've hit a major hurdle. All the sudden I am getting major shooting pains in my chest and my nipples are so sore I am in pain everytime something touches them. I've taken to wearing nursing pads just so I don't accidently brush up against them. I've examinined his latch, re-latched him, had hubby look at his latch and I see no problems. I've looked for white spots or marks on me and in his mouth and nothing. It seems the only visable marks are slight (teeny tiny ) bruises on the bottum pf my my nipple. I went to the OBGYN and he said it could be a bacterial infection with no outward signs, so he put me on a antibiotic. I've only been on it for a day, but I'm in so much pain. I was wincing and near tears this morning while nursing him and I am cutting my pumping short during the day because it hurts so much.:cry:

Any ideas? (ETA I can't see the lactation consultant because they charge out of pocket and don't take insurance, our LLL is run by volunteers and when ive been in the past they just ask other members for advice and no one has ever looked at a baby nursing before)

tibeca 07-03-2013 10:43 AM

Re: Almost 10 months and having issues....help

Sounds like yeast/thrush. It can get incredibly painful very quickly. You can not visibly see it.

http://www.breastfeedinginc.ca/conte...agename=doc-CP

PurpleDaffodil 07-03-2013 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tibeca (Post 16729896)
Sounds like yeast/thrush. It can get incredibly painful very quickly. You can not visibly see it.

http://www.breastfeedinginc.ca/conte...agename=doc-CP

I thought it may be that, but Doc said I and the baby would have white spots. Will the anitbiotic kill it?

Melinda29 07-03-2013 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PurpleDaffodil (Post 16729963)
I thought it may be that, but Doc said I and the baby would have white spots. Will the anitbiotic kill it?

NO NO NO! Doc is wrong! That is IS thrush and antibiotics will make it MUCH worse. That is so frustrating an OBGYN wouldn't know that--thrush doesn't always cause the white spots--it does sometimes, but not every time.

Stop the antibiotics. Get Grapefruit Seed Extract ASAP and put 40 drops in 1/2 cup of distilled water. Swab your nipples with it after every feeding. Swab babies mouth and diaper area with it as well (with different cotton balls, obviously). Bleach all the diapers, your bras and nursing pads, and continue this regimen for at least a week.

If you don't have GSE, call a different doc and get a prescription for Nystatin for baby and yourself.

Gentian Violet also works really well, but I don't have time now to go over it. Can someone else?

FWIW, thrush is VERY common and you are "lucky" to have had 10 months without it. Start treating it ASAP and the pain will be gone within an hour or two. Good luck!

Melinda29 07-03-2013 11:50 AM

Also, make SURE to tell your OBGYN (politely) that he was wrong and your thrush had no visible symptoms, so he doesn't make this mistake with others.

l_Kimmie_l 07-03-2013 12:06 PM

I never get white patches with thrush. I agree with PP. It simply feels like someone is cutting you with razor blades.

PurpleDaffodil 07-03-2013 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Melinda29 (Post 16730099)
Also, make SURE to tell your OBGYN (politely) that he was wrong and your thrush had no visible symptoms, so he doesn't make this mistake with others.

He's not my normal OBGYN, mine didn't have any openings until late next week and I was in a lot of pain.

PurpleDaffodil 07-03-2013 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Melinda29 (Post 16730097)
NO NO NO! Doc is wrong! That is IS thrush and antibiotics will make it MUCH worse. That is so frustrating an OBGYN wouldn't know that--thrush doesn't always cause the white spots--it does sometimes, but not every time.

Stop the antibiotics. Get Grapefruit Seed Extract ASAP and put 40 drops in 1/2 cup of distilled water. Swab your nipples with it after every feeding. Swab babies mouth and diaper area with it as well (with different cotton balls, obviously). Bleach all the diapers, your bras and nursing pads, and continue this regimen for at least a week.

If you don't have GSE, call a different doc and get a prescription for Nystatin for baby and yourself.

Gentian Violet also works really well, but I don't have time now to go over it. Can someone else?

FWIW, thrush is VERY common and you are "lucky" to have had 10 months without it. Start treating it ASAP and the pain will be gone within an hour or two. Good luck!

Ok I will go out and buy some, so far the antibiotics havent really helped. What happens if it is a bacterial infections and I stop taking them though? :headscratch:

juliasmom 07-03-2013 03:24 PM

DO NOT stop the antibiotics! You always need to finish antibiotics once you start them or you can become an incubator for antibiotic resistant bacteria :-( I agree it seems more like thrush, which the antibiotics will only make harder to get rid of. I would ask your OB to put you on Diflucan (antifungal pill) at this point and Nystatin for your LO.

PS I know several women who were perscribed antifungals and antibiotics at the same time to fight mysterious, ambiguous breast pain, and it worked for each. It isn't the best practice IMO, but one won't cancel the other. Make sure to get on a regimen of good probiotics to restore your flora from the antibiotics.

Melinda29 07-03-2013 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by juliasmom (Post 16730688)
DO NOT stop the antibiotics! You always need to finish antibiotics once you start them or you can become an incubator for antibiotic resistant bacteria :-( I agree it seems more like thrush, which the antibiotics will only make harder to get rid of. I would ask your OB to put you on Diflucan (antifungal pill) at this point and Nystatin for your LO.

PS I know several women who were perscribed antifungals and antibiotics at the same time to fight mysterious, ambiguous breast pain, and it worked for each. It isn't the best practice IMO, but one won't cancel the other. Make sure to get on a regimen of good probiotics to restore your flora from the antibiotics.

But isn't that only the case if you actually have a bacterial infection? Then the bacteria can become resistant. But if she doesn't have an infection, then there is no "bad" bacteria to become resistant. All they are doing is killing good bacteria in her system. Stopping them shouldn't negatively affect anything.

But, I see what you mean about antibiotics and amtifungals being prescribed together. Yeah, she could keep taking them just in case and then really load up on probiotics.