Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Do your babies run free? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1529967)

winterhaven0417 07-07-2013 09:15 PM

Do your babies run free?

In your house, I mean :) Do you let your small toddlers all throughout your house, or do you keep them gated into safe areas/rooms?
I'm having trouble childproofing a big area in our house. We have a lg rock fireplace separating the kitchen and living room, and it's very child unfriendly. There's no way to gate it off or keep my 14 month old ds away from it. He currently has a large playroom with a baby gate to keep him in as well as his room which is also childproofed. I'm feeling like he's just in different "pens" around the house instead of him being able to follow me around, and I was wondering what others do. I only have one child, but I also have 2 cats and a dog so I have to keep him away from the litterbox area too.
Any suggestions on what I should do? Moving isn't really an option at this point, and we rent so we can't do renovations.

Tris 07-07-2013 09:20 PM

Re: Do your babies run free?

You can't wrap a pen around the fireplace? Like an x pen?
Either that or just teach him to stay away from it. The only thing we ever baby proofed was the fridge.

AZmommy 07-07-2013 09:34 PM

free but we really dont have anything "dangerous" we closed off rooms when she was a young toddler.

raymark 07-07-2013 09:35 PM

I love baby gates, child proofing, & constant supervision. That is all I have to say.

Palooka 07-07-2013 09:39 PM

We have child-safe areas, but he's pretty much always in the same room as me or the adult watching him. If I tried to keep him in the living room while I cooked in the kitchen he would flip out. So I guess we focus more on keeping him within our sight (gates, shutting doors) and teaching him what he can do safely.

Can you wrap the fireplace with padding or a blanket or something to make it safer?

escapethevillage 07-07-2013 09:44 PM

When my own daughter was little, yes, I didn't gate anything off.

The daycare kids are gated off from the bedroom side of the house, but it's more to keep the dogs over there, than to keep the kids over here. Other than separating the house from bedroom to living space the daycare kids have run of the entire house. (over 2000 sq feet) and the backyard when the weather is nice.

But, the house has been pretty childproofed for 20 years, so there isn't really much that could be awful if they got into it. The worst thing they can do is mess up my dvd collection.

KaleidoscopeEyes 07-07-2013 09:51 PM

We only gate the front and back door if open, keep the bathroom door shut

Ashsmama 07-07-2013 09:59 PM

My kids (ages 2 and 1) are allowed to run free. We keep bedrooms (other than their shared bedroom), bathrooms, and any other doors (back doors, laundry room door, etc) closed at all times. I never keep items in bottom cabinets and if I do we baby proof the cabinet door. Everything I don't want my kids to have access to is out of reach and/or sight.

Other than that my kids are allowed to wander/run around the house. They usually keep to their room or living room.

Teddyandnick 07-07-2013 10:01 PM

We gate off the kitchen. That is our dogs area to be kid free. We shut our bathroom doors because DS2 likes to play around with the potty. We also shut the laundry room door because of cleaning chemicals. Our room is locked because DHs guns are in a safe in there. Other than that they pretty much have free reign of the house.

mibarra 07-07-2013 10:01 PM

We have a big xt gate that is a bunch of positionable panels. We just childproof the house and supervise but we don't have anything like that, except the laundry room with hot water heater where the door stays closed. If it ain't broke don't fix it ;)