Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   "l Can Read" Books . . . (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1530009)

GreyMum 07-08-2013 08:02 AM

"l Can Read" Books . . .

l was at a yard sale yesterday, and bought a bunch of books. They also had a lot of "early readers", l think they are called, which l did not get. Well, l did get 2, lol, but just sort of randomly.

Are these books that my kiddo will definitely use? She's 2.5 now. Wondering if l should have bought them.

At this point, if l were to stack all of her books, many of which were bought "ahead" at yard sales, l think we'd be at around 4-5ft. lt seems like a lot, especially in terms of the Simplicity Parenting objective, which l think is to have just a few books out at a time (never actually read the book!)

Anyway, are these books that l should be buying?

Thanks as always for your advice!!!

mibarra 07-08-2013 09:44 AM

I would. DD1 has probably twice that much. We read to her constantly. At 4 she's independently reading at a kinder to 1st grade level.

escapethevillage 07-08-2013 09:48 AM

Re: "l Can Read" Books . . .

My daughter had favorites when she was ready to read. She loved the Little Bear books, and the Amelia Bedelia books. But, she ignored the rest.

By age 8, she got super interested in the disaster books. LOL like the earth quake or tornado books. Other than that, she was a Junie B fan all the way.

jbug_4 07-08-2013 11:28 AM

We are heavy readers and we love books. The kids alone have 2 regular sized book cases- so more then double what you have. As a family we have 5 regular sizes book cases double stacked. We have an official library in our house. We have a lot of books. We also check out about 10 books a week from the library- usually a couple for me and the rest for the kids. We try to keep toys and clutter to a minimum but that doesn't apply to books. Library books are usually the early readers or non-fiction books on what ever dd is interested in this month. This month is dinosaurs, she goes back to dinosaurs often.

DD loves the early readers, especially now that she is reading. They were required to read books to the class last year and those are perfect for self reading or minimum help reading. They'll move on from them more quickly because they are for beginning readers, but I think they are worth it. They can always be sold or donated to the library later.

GreyMum 07-08-2013 11:46 AM

Thanks for the advice! This seems like a "dumb question," but I will ask anyway. Does it matter if it's just a random bunch of books, or do people usually buy a whole series of them?

Dmpmercury 07-08-2013 01:03 PM

The step 2, 3 and 4 ones came in handy even if my oldest didn't need them long and moved through fast. The step 1 ones didn't have enough words or story line. I just had random ones. My kids liked having them read to them before they could read them on their own. I don't like having a lot of stuff but I do have lots of books.

jbug_4 07-08-2013 01:20 PM

Just random if your pre- buying. My mil gets a lot of them from yard sales too. Now that dd has specific interests we still buy random, but will get complete series if its something she is into. Like she likes pinkalicious so we get all of them. Or the Pony Scout series because she loves horses. Those are pretty much the only ones we get whole series of though, everything else is pretty random.

jbug_4 07-08-2013 01:22 PM

oh, and I do agree on the step 1's. They are usually 2 words per page, boring to read and not really enough of a challenge even for a beginning reader.

JennTheMomma 07-08-2013 02:23 PM

We love I can read books