Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Is this normal? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1538753)

3 ladybugs 08-13-2013 04:29 PM

Is this normal?

My son was born at exactly 38 weeks on July 18. He was IVF so no doubt about that. He was born via planned c-section with NO labor at all. He was born at 6 lbs 4 oz. At 8 days old he had to go under the bili lights for a night. Since that time he has been SLOWLY gaining weight. Today he finally got back to his birth weight.

The Ped is making me go in several times a week for weight checks. Last week I had enough of it and purchased a scale. I was able to call in his weight yesterday and today but now they want us back in there on Thursday!! :banghead: I tried to ask if I could just come in on Tuesday when I have his 1 month check but that was refused.

Am I right in thinking this is insane? I am EBF and he has been gaining 1 oz a day for the last 5+ days. They want me to supplement but I am refusing since I am needing breast pads for EVERY feeding or every 2 hours. I feel like this doctor hates breastfeeding so she is doing this to us.

Thank you for the help.

stevensmom 08-13-2013 04:33 PM

Re: Is this normal?

have you pumped your milk to see how much "fat" you are producing?

Just because you leak doesn't necessarily mean that you have enough "fatty" stuff in there.

I don't know tho :dunno:

ETA: after some research I see that average weight gain is 5-7 per week...so 1oz a day sounds good

qsefthuko 08-13-2013 04:36 PM

An ounce a day is really great weight gain. I read your previous post. It sounds like your baby is catching up fast. I would look for a new pedi right now. Call around today and 'miss' your next appointment with this doctor. She is micro managing which is not good for either you or your baby.

VeganCupcake 08-13-2013 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qsefthuko (Post 16833794)
An ounce a day is really great weight gain. I read your previous post. It sounds like your baby is catching up fast. I would look for a new pedi right now. Call around today and 'miss' your next appointment with this doctor. She is micro managing which is not good for either you or your baby.

:yeahthat: Fire this pedi and find a new one.

umphreysmommy 08-13-2013 06:53 PM

Gain sounds good but try to remember that a lot of doctors worry because he was born a little early, lower weight plus long time to get back to birth weight and TONS of parents are not as on the ball with tracking and buying a scale. I know you got this under control and things are fine but doctors don't just assume that although they should use common sense.

MDever 08-13-2013 07:03 PM

An ounce per day is outstanding Jen! That is awesome:lostit: I do agree that you need to find a new ped. Our 4th LO had/has issues with weight and as a newborn we were there 2-3 times per week for like 6 or 8 weeks. She was never gaining an ounce per day. Baby #5 was like clockwork on his ounce per day for almost 6 months straight. Good for you for having a scale. Keep a written record of naked weight and take it with you. Don't let them give you any bs about his weight because there is scale discrepancy. After Poppy's inpatient stay at 2mo the University of MD reset her growth curve and then I had the tech at the office weigh her naked on all three infant scales and average the weight. Have you done any pre and post fed weights at home?

Rachel.castlen 08-13-2013 07:11 PM

how strange. i think i might consider changing docs so i could get the customer service i need for my family. sorry, girl!

3 ladybugs 08-13-2013 07:55 PM

Thank you everyone! That is honestly where I was leaning but I wanted to get confirmation that I wasn't over reacting before doing so. My DH is going to the west coast right now (in the air as I type) and will be back before Thursday morning, but I can't just call him right now and see what he has to say. KWIM?

I sent DH a text message and he knows I will be up all night with the little one (he wakes typically at 10:30 then 1, 3, 5 and so on). So hopefully he will text me back when he gets settled. I have another doctor I can go to that is very highly recommended by my friends. So I guess I could call them in the morning and find out what they would have to say.

Thank you everyone!

shortcake2386 08-13-2013 08:14 PM

ds was born at 36 weeks, 4.5lbs(4lbs when he went home at 2 days, no nicu) he gained an ounce a day and our old ped tried to get me to supplement and such be he wasnt on the charts(he wasnt born on the charts though) three peds later we settled on our ped and she was fine. he followed his own curve consistantly for 18 months then levelled out. he's petite but super healthy(and dh and i are small people lol. im 5'1 and 100lbs)

finleyjudemommy 08-13-2013 08:41 PM

At our dd's 6 month check up, she was 12 pounds 3 ounces, 23.5 inches and ped was fine with it. I was worried she would make me start supplementing but she said I was doing a great job. She was born at exactly 38 weeks and weighed 5 pounds. She was 4 pounds 13 ounces when we left the hospital, 4 pounds 14 ounces at her 1 week check up. At one month she was 6 pounds 9 ounces, 2 months 8 pounds 2 ounces and 4 months 11 pounds 2 ounces.

I think you're doing a great job and if if we're me, I'd definitely find a new doc!