Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Stripping Oils - Need HELP! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1543478)

indigo152 09-04-2013 07:11 PM

Stripping Oils - Need HELP!

I just got an awesome Craigslist deal on Old style Bumgenius Elemental diapers. However, they seem to have oil buildup and feel slightly damp from the wipe solution the owner had used. I really couldn't pass up the great deal, but wonder if there is anything that works to really clean them up??

Pixi6s 09-04-2013 07:23 PM

Re: Stripping Oils - Need HELP!

Hot water and detergent would probably work just fine. Just do a few washes. I imagine whatever you'd do to sanitize them will probably be fine.

indigo152 09-05-2013 01:31 PM

I tried washing with bleach, and with Dawn soap. I also did an overnight soak with Rockin Green. I have done a few rinses as well. I can still feel the oil in the fabric of these diapers. Maybe my Craigslist find wasn't such a great deal :(
Any other suggestions for removing oil buildup on natural fiber diapers?

March 09-05-2013 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by indigo152
I tried washing with bleach, and with Dawn soap. I also did an overnight soak with Rockin Green. I have done a few rinses as well. I can still feel the oil in the fabric of these diapers. Maybe my Craigslist find wasn't such a great deal :(
Any other suggestions for removing oil buildup on natural fiber diapers?

Scrubbing with a degreaser (Dawn) and a toothbrush if your washer's agitation hasn't been adequate? A commercial laundry service with better agitation?

Pixi6s 09-05-2013 08:05 PM

I find that surprising are you sure the cotton just isn't smooth feeling? Try scrubbing with a baking soda and soap paste or maybe a oxygen bleach paste. (or detergent paste). I bet if a tide user showed up they would say wash in Tide. umm...

indigo152 09-05-2013 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pixi6s (Post 16889057)
I find that surprising are you sure the cotton just isn't smooth feeling? Try scrubbing with a baking soda and soap paste or maybe a oxygen bleach paste. (or detergent paste). I bet if a tide user showed up they would say wash in Tide. umm...

It is so strange, but I can definitely smell and feel oil on the diapers. The seller said it was oil from wipes solution, but the diapers are saturated in it, like they had been soaked in an oil solution. Very strange.
I am determined to get them clean, tho, and will so whatever it takes. Sounds like I should try scrubbing them.

Pixi6s 09-06-2013 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by indigo152 (Post 16889345)
It is so strange, but I can definitely smell and feel oil on the diapers. The seller said it was oil from wipes solution, but the diapers are saturated in it, like they had been soaked in an oil solution. Very strange.
I am determined to get them clean, tho, and will so whatever it takes. Sounds like I should try scrubbing them.

Did they say what kind of oil. Any oil I have heard in a wipes solution should wash out in detergent. It it was transferring from there wipes to diapers in the laundry that is some crazy stuff. If you still have there email maybe email them and ask what oils were in there solution.