Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off Topic Discussion (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   If you're atheist or non-Christian... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1543535)

PBAki 09-05-2013 06:33 AM

If you're atheist or non-Christian...

Do you still celebrate or participate what's considered to be Christian holidays? We do it for the kids; Kim is Pagan so we don't exactly call it Christmas but to me it doesn't matter as I grew up restricted from celebrating the holidays and never wanted that with my children. We still enjoy going to the local farm to get the tree to decorate every year. Halloween is always fun. Spring celebration replaces Easter Egg hunt, etc.

Or are you against it for any reason? Any other non-Christian holidays you celebrate?

Just gauging what other families do :goodvibes: I only thought about this because there's Christmas stuff out in stores already :lostit:

Psychomom 09-05-2013 06:48 AM

We celebrate Christmas but would love to stop! We've discussed doing Festivus in its place, but I would love to start a family vacation tradition at that time.

My favorite is Halloween. We don't do "Hallmark" holidays like Valentine's day and we don't do Easter.

NotLad 09-05-2013 07:06 AM

Re: If you're atheist or non-Christian...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Psychomom (Post 16887385)
We celebrate Christmas but would love to stop! We've discussed doing Festivus in its place, but I would love to start a family vacation tradition at that time.

Sorry, I'm hijacking. :)

To the bolded: We did this with birthdays. Three birthdays are right in a row - literally - three days, three birthdays. I scraped birthday parties last year and decided to either to a BIG BIG gift or a trip. So far no one has complained.

mbleblanc 09-05-2013 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PBAki (Post 16887356)
Do you still celebrate or participate what's considered to be Christian holidays? We do it for the kids; Kim is Pagan so we don't exactly call it Christmas but to me it doesn't matter as I grew up restricted from celebrating the holidays and never wanted that with my children. We still enjoy going to the local farm to get the tree to decorate every year. Halloween is always fun. Spring celebration replaces Easter Egg hunt, etc.

Or are you against it for any reason? Any other non-Christian holidays you celebrate?

Just gauging what other families do :goodvibes: I only thought about this because there's Christmas stuff out in stores already :lostit:

We do christmas and easter, but I grew up celebrating them but we never included religion. We call it christmas but it's really just about family, good food, presents, santa, and who has the best tree lol

I don't want to confuse my son by calling it something different.

We celebrate almost every holiday though, we have pagan friends so we participate in some of their festivities, we've celebrated the end of ramadan with other friends, random holidays I make up because I want to have a cake and have people over... :giggle: any excuse to be happy and see friends and family!

momtojande 09-05-2013 07:10 AM

Yep, for all the holidays that have both secular & religious aspects. Not like, Good Friday or anything like that. :)

Scarlett's mommy 09-05-2013 07:34 AM

Our kids are still little and all of our family is Christian so for now we celebrate the regular holidays. I am pagan and my husband is an atheist. I would love eventually for the girls to celebrate the wheel of the year holidays with me but won't force them. I usually try to do a little something for each anyway even just a "themed" meal or small things like that.

HeatherM0529 09-05-2013 07:40 AM

Yes we do. We use that time to celebrate family and have fun with the festivities.
We celebrate Christmas for Santa and the kids. And yes my children will know about the REAL St. Nick eventually.

We celebrate Easter because it's just plain fun.

HeatherM0529 09-05-2013 07:40 AM

Yes we do. We use that time to celebrate family and have fun with the festivities.
We celebrate Christmas for Santa and the kids. And yes my children will know about the REAL St. Nick eventually.

We celebrate Easter because it's just plain fun.

ofthemoonsglow 09-05-2013 07:43 AM

We celebrate the Winter Solstice, Spring Equinox, and those holidays. Most Christmas and Easter traditions are based off of those pagan holidays anyway. We are agnostic so we don't really celebrate religiously but I love the holidays. :-)

mommy2sammy 09-05-2013 07:50 AM

My dh is Muslim and I still don't know what I am, other than believe in god and being a good person...
We celebrate every holiday, both Christian and Muslim. Neither of us is particularly religious, dh doesn't eat pork, that's about the extent of his "devotion". Our holidays are not focused on the religion itself but more on fun and family. We do talk about god in the general sense, that's on a day to day basis as it comes up, not on the holidays themselves.
Hopefully we are not raising terribly confused children.