Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Ideas for Spagetti Squash (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1546771)

saraley 09-21-2013 09:57 AM

Ideas for Spagetti Squash

http://i.imgur.com/1W1G2vy.jpg

iris0110 09-21-2013 11:15 AM

Re: Ideas for Spagetti Squash

Wow that is awesome. I usually use it like I would noodles so any dish you could use noodles in. I make marinara and put over it the most but sometimes just butter and parm (before I couldn't have dairy) or any other sauce is pretty good. I am sure some one will have a good idea on how to prep and store it.

Jrnme 09-21-2013 11:57 AM

A friend sent me this one the other day.

spaghetti squash ~ 1 medium
butter ~ 2 tablespoons
1 small yellow onion, cut in half and very thinly sliced
Red pepper flakes ~ ¼ teaspoonfresh
thyme ~ 1 teaspoon
sour cream ~ ½ cup
shredded Cheddar cheese ~ ½ cup

1.Cut the spaghetti squash in half and remove the seeds. Place in a covered dish with a ¼ inch of water and microwave for 10 -12 minutes. In a medium sized skillet over medium heat, add the butter, onions, red pepper and thyme and cook until the onions are slightly brown in color. Salt and pepper to taste.
2.Using a fork, scrape the insides of the squash and transfer to a small bowl. Combine the squash, onions, sour cream and half the cheese together and mix well. Transfer the mixture to a buttered baking dish and top with remaining cheese.

Bake 375* for 20 minutes should be golden brown.

From what she said tasted like hash brown casserole

saraley 09-26-2013 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jrnme (Post 16928789)
A friend sent me this one the other day.

spaghetti squash ~ 1 medium
butter ~ 2 tablespoons
1 small yellow onion, cut in half and very thinly sliced
Red pepper flakes ~ ¼ teaspoonfresh
thyme ~ 1 teaspoon
sour cream ~ ½ cup
shredded Cheddar cheese ~ ½ cup

1.Cut the spaghetti squash in half and remove the seeds. Place in a covered dish with a ¼ inch of water and microwave for 10 -12 minutes. In a medium sized skillet over medium heat, add the butter, onions, red pepper and thyme and cook until the onions are slightly brown in color. Salt and pepper to taste.
2.Using a fork, scrape the insides of the squash and transfer to a small bowl. Combine the squash, onions, sour cream and half the cheese together and mix well. Transfer the mixture to a buttered baking dish and top with remaining cheese.

Bake 375* for 20 minutes should be golden brown.

From what she said tasted like hash brown casserole

tried this; it was awesome thanks!!

mary78 09-27-2013 04:22 AM

looks adorable!

s@hmommy 09-27-2013 06:13 AM

I am mobile do I don't have my recipes, but Google Moroccan style spaghetti squash. It has golden raisins and chickpeas. It one ofy favorite dishes.

mel j 09-27-2013 10:27 PM

I would love to have that much spaghetti squash! :drif: We only got one from our plants and weren't even sure if it was good. :(

Anyway, we like it plain, or with pasta sauce, or with guacamole, or sour cream. I also like it in salad! Sooo yummy. I've also made spaghetti squash patties (I forget the actual name) but they were decent. Not my favorite though but you could probably find simple recipes with a quick google search. I seem to remember putting eggs and parmesan in it and then frying them like pancakes. We've also eaten it with honey and cinnamon - sometimes raisins, too. :drif: I've added chicken meatballs to it, too, for the savoury dishes - or beans. Not really recipes, I guess, but it seems versatile to me! :)

d_arnold 09-29-2013 06:48 PM

Skinnytaste has a great recipe for chicken Parmesan stuffed spaghetti squash boats. So good!!

debcita429 09-29-2013 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saraley (Post 16928578)

Wowsa! Very cute pic. I love spaghetti squash but have only had it a handful of times. It didn't seem to need much of any dressing up, imo, but I'm sure with that much you would get bored fast. If I had some on hand, I think I would attempt to make a gluten free and cow dairy free white sauce using arrowroot and powdered goat's milk (due to my dietary restrictions). That could be kind of fun and could be dressed up with so many variations of herbs.

Perhaps let us know what you try and like.

graceworks 09-30-2013 06:57 PM

We really enjoyed it sautéed with butter and garlic and then Parmesan on top. Sautéed til soft and cooked and the. A bit longer so it almost caramelizes a little bit. Yum! I was surprised that we liked it (we don't like squash)