Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Flying with 18 month old? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1551704)

Nenabee 10-16-2013 12:02 AM

Flying with 18 month old?

So on Thursday we are leaving for Disney World! We bought DD her own seat because I knew there was no way she would sit still in our laps. So car seat it is! This is our first flight with her, any tips? It's 2.5 hrs. How to deal with ear popping? I usually bring gum for myself but am at a loss for DD. does a straw cup work? Thanks!

GrazieGirl 10-16-2013 02:30 AM

Re: Flying with 18 month old?

A straw cup or a lollipop would work fine. Have a good trip!

onegratefulmama 10-16-2013 06:03 AM

I would wrap small gifts to open to keep my kiddos busy, stickers, paper to draw on, invisible ink markers, remove their shoes or put on slippers to decrease kicking the seat in front & after take off I'd often nurse them a lot also read, play with a new toy, bring out a snack and pray they didn't poop as changing on the plane is a pain! I spy toddler books are useful. I also cut out & laminated pics from magazines or family photos to bring out a few at a time but you could also print some pics and put into an album instead. Have fun!

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

MDever 10-16-2013 06:32 AM

Snacks, small toys she has never seen before, tablet or Ipad, & books.

UVASahm 10-16-2013 06:35 AM

I think he will surprise you! Especially with his own seat. Mine does fine on planes. DVDs help. Make sure he gets up for a bit. 2.5hours is not bad at all!

Ola_ 10-16-2013 10:07 AM

Yup, new things to play with, anything to drink will help with ear popping though my DD (now 2.5) was never bothered by her ears and we have flown quite a few times with her.

Take the time to walk her up and down the aisle when the service carts aren't around and she seems antsy. No one minds, they would rather not have a screaming baby on the plane, plus we often encounter a grandma type who will coo at DD cause she's missing her own grandkids or someone like that.

DD is often amused by atypical little things, like fuzzy little balls from the dollar store (with a cup or two to transfer them around) or colourful pipe cleaners that you can bend into shapes (watch out for sharp ends). I also like cheap dollar store stickers cause they don't stick that great so I don't worry about them being hard to remove if they end up somewhere they shouldn't. Also, be sure to bring a few snacks, some that are small things she can pick up herself like halved grapes or cheerios are more entertaining.

ILoveMy Kids 10-28-2013 12:27 AM

Even if you don't want your child to play on an iPad, it would come in really handy for you to read Kindle books to your daughter. There are always free ones at Amazon.

Also one of my recent real favorites for my toddlers has just been reduced from $2.99 to 99c - it's called "Where Is Silly Bear?". My kids love it and ask for it quite often because of the cute pictures and fun rhyme.

A plane trip is the perfect time to read kindle books to kids.

luvsviola 10-28-2013 07:59 AM

Just finished 18 hours each way to Florida in the car with 3 kids (6, 4, 2). The Daniel Tiger app for Kindle is awesome. I downloaded a bunch of games and put movies on there. Didn't hear a peep from my 2 year old the whole time!

I just bring an empty sippy cup and put juice in it on the plane. Works fine for my kids.