Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Question about blocked ducts (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1552548)

K&Bmama 10-20-2013 03:23 PM

Question about blocked ducts

I think I have a blocked duct, possibly two of them in my left breast. It is so painful and tender. I fed my LO off that side and then pumped until nothing else came out. It still is super tender. With a blocked duct, once you clear the duct, is the pain relief immediate or does it take a while to start to feel better? I am so discouraged. I am already taking soy lecithin because it's supposed to he prevent this. (with my last baby I had severe mastitis that out me in the hospital on IV meds for 5 days. I can't let this get to that point!!! My DH is in the army and gone right now, so it's just me and our 3 kids, age 3, 18 months, and 2 weeks.)
Someone please tell me that this is nothing but a blocked duct and it will feel better in an hour or so. Please!

Mom2jandb 10-20-2013 03:28 PM

For me sometimes the soreness lingers for a day or so, depending on how bad it hurt in the first place. Even after emptying my breast. Hopefully that's all it is, and feel better soon!

Teexie 10-20-2013 03:44 PM

Mine would be sore for another day or so. Not as bad, but sore.

I had plugged ducts almost weekly til my DD was 1 yr. It sucked but luckily I was able to take care of them before they progressed to mastitis. Are you going braless?? I've always needed to wear a bra but started going braless even in public because it really helped me avoid them.

K&Bmama 10-20-2013 03:57 PM

Re: Question about blocked ducts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mom2jandb (Post 16998548)
For me sometimes the soreness lingers for a day or so, depending on how bad it hurt in the first place. Even after emptying my breast. Hopefully that's all it is, and feel better soon!

Thanks... I am SO afraid of this turning into mastitis again like last time. I hope it's better by tomorrow!

K&Bmama 10-20-2013 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teexie (Post 16998578)
Mine would be sore for another day or so. Not as bad, but sore.

I had plugged ducts almost weekly til my DD was 1 yr. It sucked but luckily I was able to take care of them before they progressed to mastitis. Are you going braless?? I've always needed to wear a bra but started going braless even in public because it really helped me avoid them.

No I am wearing a bra, but it is a super stretchy cotton one with no underwire. I am bigger breasted and I have to wear a bra, unfortunately. I try to stick to soft cup styles without underwire, but going braless would be hard also because I also have vasospasms in my nipples and the feeling of my nipples touching my shirt is super painful. Ugh I can't win with this breastfeeding thing!!!

teacherpippi 10-20-2013 04:40 PM

If you have a manual pump, the thing that worked best for me was to hop in the shower full blast on the sore spot as hot as I could stand. The combo of the hot, water sort of massaging, and pumping worked every time.

Mrs-Mama 10-20-2013 04:47 PM

I've had many plugged ducts...in my experience, the pain relief was immediate but sometimes a little soreness (no real pain) would linger. I also had good luck massaging in the HOT shower and pumping right after while still massaging. Make sure the massage is gentle, though because you don't want to cause more damage. My LC also advised icing the area after nursing/pumping and ibuprofen both for pain relief and to thin out the milk a little.

slk202 10-20-2013 05:24 PM

For me pain goes away when the duct is cleared. I use a hot rice bag on the spot before I nurse and while I pump.

kocho 10-20-2013 06:01 PM

Be sure to massage the duct while nursing or pumping. That will help clear it faster. If you are able positioning the baby's chin on the duct while nursing also helps.

VeganCupcake 10-20-2013 06:05 PM

I always had kind of a bruised feeling that would persist for a few days after the clog was cleared.