Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Heavy periods, still breastfeeding (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1552875)

alaskamum 10-22-2013 10:19 AM

Heavy periods, still breastfeeding

I'm looking for a suggestion to treat heavy periods. My dd is 13 months and still breastfeeding. I'd like to nurse her as long as it is still pleasant for both of us, but my AF came back about 6 months ago and it is KILLER. Like I can't leave the house for more than an hour for a few days a month b/c it is so heavy. The only suggestion the dr. had was the Mirena, but I tried it and had it removed after a month b/c I had a drop in supply, non stop bleeding, mega acne, and in general I wasn't totally on board with the whole thing. The only other suggestion is a combo BCP, but I know that will kill my supply too. I'm trying to decide if it's worth stopping breastfeeding over, but really these periods are really disrupting life around here.

Anyone have experience or any suggestions?

breefawn 10-22-2013 10:24 AM

Have you tried cloth pads or a cup? My period was awful, an after i switched i could actually go grocery shopping ;)

alaskamum 10-22-2013 10:29 AM

Re: Heavy periods, still breastfeeding

Quote:

Originally Posted by breefawn (Post 17003515)
Have you tried cloth pads or a cup? My period was awful, an after i switched i could actually go grocery shopping ;)

I tried a Diva cup, and it filled up so fast that it would start to fall out.
I tried cloth pads but just ended up with a big mess, even with heavy flow pads.

Right now for example, I will soak through a super plus tampon and leak a big spot onto a pad in less than an hour.

I have been taking Motrin (800 mg every 6 hours) and that helps, but only somewhat. Not sure how it works, but it does decrease blood flow.

perrysmom 10-22-2013 10:37 AM

im curious about the same thing!

tibeca 10-22-2013 10:44 AM

Have you tried a progesterone only pill? It seems crazy to jump to a combo pill immediately without first trying some that is breastfeeding safe.

Have you tried more natural things to treat it? For example, red raspberry leaf, fish oil or Magnesium? Sometimes our bodies respond crazily to our cycles because they're lacking some thing nutritional. I would consult a naturopath before even considering weaning.

There's some interesting info here about Vitamin K deficiency. http://kerryg.hubpages.com/hub/Natur...-Heavy-Periods

alaskamum 10-22-2013 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tibeca (Post 17003611)
Have you tried a progesterone only pill? It seems crazy to jump to a combo pill immediately without first trying some that is breastfeeding safe.

Have you tried more natural things to treat it? For example, red raspberry leaf, fish oil or Magnesium? Sometimes our bodies respond crazily to our cycles because they're lacking some thing nutritional. I would consult a naturopath before even considering weaning.

There's some interesting info here about Vitamin K deficiency. http://kerryg.hubpages.com/hub/Natur...-Heavy-Periods

The POP decreased my supply, as did the Mirena, and both are supposed to be compatible with breastfeeding. The Mirena nearly ended breastfeeding for us since it took me a month to get it out. This is my 3rd bf baby, so I know it wasn't my imagination.

Also the dr said that the POP could actually make periods worse, they are not usually prescribed for managing periods.

I haven't tried any natural remedies, but just b/c I don't know of any. I am open to them. I'll look into those suggestions. Thanks.

sylverstarz17 10-22-2013 12:57 PM

I have the Nexplanon implant- it's progesterone only so supposed to be BF safe. I've had it for 5.5 months now and no AF yet but that could also be due to EBF. It hasn't seemed to affect my supply any. I did have a drop here within the last month due to other reasons but not due to my BC.

alaskamum 10-22-2013 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sylverstarz17 (Post 17004031)
I have the Nexplanon implant- it's progesterone only so supposed to be BF safe. I've had it for 5.5 months now and no AF yet but that could also be due to EBF. It hasn't seemed to affect my supply any. I did have a drop here within the last month due to other reasons but not due to my BC.

I'm glad that is working out for you. I know that progesterone only products are supposed to be safe for breastfeeding, but two different types caused a noticeable drop in supply for me. I know that a combo pill will also kill my supply, so I am looking for a non-hormonal suggestion. I don't want to wean until we are really ready, not b/c of these stupid periods.

It's the estrogen in the combo pill that is supposed to help periods. Progesterone only can actually cause more breakthrough bleeding, so it's not generally useful in controlling heavy periods. At least that is what my dr told me.

I had heavy periods as a teenager. Playing sports was really hard. Being on the pill in my 20's took care of things. But, since I've been off the pill my periods are back to being crazy heavy. Very frustrating.

saturn 10-22-2013 10:52 PM

Tranexamic acid might be an option. You'd need to discuss with your dr if it's safe for you to use while breastfeeding.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhe...report=details

Van1300 10-23-2013 04:11 AM

I am headed to the GYN doctor tomorrow for the same issue! I have an 11 month old and I've had 3 post partum periods that were so heavy I can't stand it. I am debating weaning and trying to figure out options