Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Those who had a previous hemmorhage- question for you (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1555753)

whitneywalters 11-06-2013 04:05 PM

Those who had a previous hemmorhage- question for you

I hemorrhaged after Amelia was born, it was the most terrifying thing I have been through. I ended up passing out, having a seizure and needing a blood transfusion.

I had cholestatis, was induced and caved and got an epi. This time I am very determined to have no pain killers at all. I am not sure I can avoid the pitocin, it depends on if I get cholestatis again or not. If I manage to get by without getting cholestatis again, I will do all I can to avoid being induced.

I would really love advice on what I could do to avoid another hemorrhage. I am very open to natural ways.

Fitter 11-07-2013 01:28 PM

Re: Those who had a previous hemmorhage- question for you

First off :hugs: I have only had one severe hemorrhage and honestly it is the reason we are done having kids :hugs: it was super terrifying.

All of my doctors told me - after my hemorrhage - that as you have more kids your chances of having this complication increase. Since you have a history of it now you are at a much higher risk of having another hemorrhage. I would tell you doctor now and remind them periodically so they can be on top of it and ready for it should it occur.

I am not sure about ways to avoid or prevent but I don't know if induction/epi has anything to do with it. Wanting a natural birth is cool (I had 3 I am not knocking it) but I bled out after an intervention free birth - I only had a hep well (sp?)

I had heavy bleeding after each birth but it always stopped with fundal massage. The last time after his birth I had fundal massage, Pitocin, manual removal of clots (repeatedly - ugh!), several attempts at placing a balloon that failed and then finally a uterine artery embolization. If that had failed, which luckily it didn't, I would have had a hysterectomy, but they were trying very hard to avoid that because I had lost so much blood that thought I could go into DIC. So after 2 blood transfusions and a whole night of postpartum interventions I was thankfully and blessedly alive.

Not sure this was helpful but I understand your fear, I really do, but I wish I knew of something preventative.

sublime.mommy 11-07-2013 02:15 PM

Do you do red raspberry leaf tea? It's the only simple preventative that I can think of. I would suggest immediately consuming some placenta after the birth if you're open to it.

I haven't hemmoraged myself, but my roommate did (after a difficult breech homebirth) and ended up heading to the hospital for multiple blood transfusions. She went on to have an uncomplicated homebirth of a giant 11 something pounder.

trying4more 11-07-2013 04:43 PM

I do t know I I hemorrhage after my births but I have very heavy bleeding after! It started after my first baby, and it's repeated every time! Now after they just pump my thighs with pitocin to stop it!
My last birth was really weird and they had to stick her whole arm up my yahoo and pull outs pounds of blood clots!
I always drink pregnancy tea when pregnant but this time I'm doing homemade pregnancy tea and each trimester I increase my red raspberry! When I hit 34 weeks I will do even more RRL and alfalfa since that is supposed to help with bleeding!
I've also read about Shepard purse tincture is supposed to help!

Silver)O(Moon 11-10-2013 10:59 AM

Just make sure they are prepared with everything they need to be, just in case. I have heavy PP bleeding. All my vaginal births have required pitocin, 2 shots of methergine, tons of painful fundal massage (three working on me at once - I had bruises last time!!!) but thankfully no transfusions. Still, it make the after birth part more scary to me than labor and delivery. I have heard that induced labors with pitocin is more prone to bleeding (all 3 of mine were induced and long). It just over taxes the uterus and can make it "tired" so to speak afterwards. So all I am doing this time is avoiding induction if possible and crossing my fingers this labor goes a little faster. RRL tea might be good to try too since its primary purpose is to tone the uterine muscle. Shephards Purse is a tincture to use after birth I believe, but in the case of a true hemorrhage, I don't think it would be adequate. I would also work through some of your fears and maybe try some positive affirmations as you get closer to birth. I am a big believer in the mind/body connection.

smblake 11-10-2013 05:57 PM

I had a mild hemmorage after my second baby, I was given a shot of pit, pit in an IV and something under my tongue and some intense fundal massage (ouch)! I read something during my early third pregnancy about evening primrose oil (epo) maybe contributing to increased bleeding. I'm not sure how true it is. But with babies number three and four, I didn't take any epo and also had no issues with bleeding, and I did with baby #2. Labor with all three (babies 2-4) was almost exact in length, progression and intensity. Babies #3 and 4 were home births,babies #2 and 4 were waterbirths. All three were unmedicated.

TikiLuCherry 11-12-2013 08:15 PM

I had one with DD, 9 1/2 years ago. First baby (I was 18), I developed pre eclampsia, they induced, labor was longer, they had broken my water, started my IV with pitocin and meds for the pre e. I felt like I was on fire (from the meds), I was in pain and waited as long as I could hold out to get an epidural. Got it, it worked for a bit, then failed, they gave another dose, which leaked out (they didn't realize), ended up having to get a whole nother epidural, that hadn't taken full effect by delivery (I felt a LOT).

I hemmoraged immediately after delivering my DD, buckets full everywhere, my DR was screaming at the nurses, elbow deep manually massaging my uterus trying to get it to contract. It was AWFUL, I was going in and out and remember bits and pieces and the pain. I was in and out for a couple days after that, very sore uterus, they asked if I wanted a transfusion and told me if I got up and was dizzy, they were going to give me one (I told them I wasn't, but was), I didn't get to hold DD much while I was in the hospital because I was in and out and so weak. I also had heavy PP bleeding and was still bleeding at my 6 week PP visit, I was also anemic for a while.

Anyways, my experience scared me into not wanting anymore kids, I was scared I would have the same occurrence the next time, or worse (not make it) as my GG grandmother died of the same thing.

I got pregnant again (lots of years later), he's now 13 months old. I expressed my concerns with my Dr. He opted to induce me to try to avoid the same things happening. He said that with a long labor and the medicine I'd been given, were all things that could make you more prone to bleed. He still broke my water, started pitocin, etc. I got an epidural again (also didn't work, it was very spotty and I could feel my legs, part of my stomach and everything going on once he started transitioning down). Delivery HURT, but I didn't hemmorage. In fact, I was up walking with my son ready to do it all over again within a couple hours, THAT is how different the experience was for me. PP bleeding was very light for me in comparison to my DD and was over by week 4, and my period was back at week 6. I was also out of the hospital 24 hours after DS was born and took my DD to her soccer game the following morning.

I'm pregnant again, with DS #2 and kiddo #3, not as worried about bleeding anymore and I feel like I'm in good hands with my doctor.

Good luck mama and every experience can be different.

Minniebees 11-13-2013 07:51 AM

Cholestasis increases your risk of hemorrhage because of the reduction in your ability to clot. You're also 80% more likely to get IHCP in subsequent pregnancies. Getting pain meds did not cause your hemorrhage (not sure if that's the way you felt about it, but it read that way to me).

:hugs:

whitneywalters 11-13-2013 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minniebees (Post 17054755)
Cholestasis increases your risk of hemorrhage because of the reduction in your ability to clot. You're also 80% more likely to get IHCP in subsequent pregnancies. Getting pain meds did not cause your hemorrhage (not sure if that's the way you felt about it, but it read that way to me).

:hugs:

No, I know the cholestatis is the cause but I also think the pain killers did not help matters. Between the cholestatis, the pitocin and the epi, it was a disaster waiting to happen.

I just want to make sure I do everything I can to prevent.

Silver)O(Moon 11-20-2013 07:23 PM

I just wanted to update that I had my baby and they did something different that really helped this time! I had an all natural birth (my first!) and so I thought that perhaps I wouldn't bleed too much but I still did quite a bit. But my MW uses cytotec suppositories instead of methergine and it really worked for me! She placed 4 which IIRC is 800mg in the rectum (she said they won't stay in the vagina after birth for obvious reasons) and while it wasn't the most fun process it was over quick and worked great for me. I still needed fundal massage but it was more like 30-40 minutes instead of the 3 hours its been my last two births and then it slowed. I had never heard of them using cytotec to stop PP bleeding but when it worked so well my first thought was to share it on this thread so maybe other mamas can ask their HCP and see if that is something they also might use. :goodvibes: