Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off Topic Discussion (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   ummm, how to decide which menstral cup? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1571693)

kushie tushie 02-16-2014 02:09 PM

ummm, how to decide which menstral cup?

There are so many different kinds/brands. How do I pick one?
Which is your favorite & why?

Amanda (caution- my autocorrect hates me)

Rewind_Selector 02-16-2014 03:21 PM

Re: ummm, how to decide which menstral cup?

I've only ever used a diva cup size 2. I'm in the market for a new one because it keeps slipping since I had the girls. My poor gigantic vagina :(

mommypockets 02-16-2014 03:22 PM

Buy 7 different ones and sell the ones you don't love!

I tried

Several different sizes and firmness levels of MeLuna
FemmyCycle
Sckoon
Si-Bell

I kept the soft, small mini meluna, soft small meluna, and Sckoon

MIpiccolo44 02-16-2014 03:44 PM

I bought the one that was on sale! :giggle2:

DottieHarley 02-16-2014 04:14 PM

If you know something specific about your anatomy, i bet ppl here could make a good recommendation.
Way tmi example: i have a kinda short/small vagina. So i looked for the shortest size 2 I could find. There was a website... I forget what it was... But it had a bunch of side by side photos and comparisons so i saw that the lunette was shorter than many of the other "Size 2's" and i swear i read that it was softer. So i gave it a go.

GEM Cloth 02-16-2014 04:15 PM

I just tried a bunch, mostly what was in the FSOT! I love almost everything I've tried but Lunette is my favorite. I'd just go with whatever you can get a good deal on and try them until you find something perfect. The ones you decide not to go with can be unloaded in the FSOT.

If you need some tips on using them, just let us know! There is a small learning curve but stick with it, you will most likely love it.

BSWmama 02-16-2014 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DottieHarley (Post 17247327)
If you know something specific about your anatomy, i bet ppl here could make a good recommendation.
Way tmi example: i have a kinda short/small vagina. So i looked for the shortest size 2 I could find. There was a website... I forget what it was... But it had a bunch of side by side photos and comparisons so i saw that the lunette was shorter than many of the other "Size 2's" and i swear i read that it was softer. So i gave it a go.

http://menstrualcups.wordpress.com/c...y/comparisons/

This is the site I looked at, too. I also need something on the shorter side. I ended up with the LadyCup, I like it.

iris0110 02-16-2014 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BSWmama (Post 17247453)
http://menstrualcups.wordpress.com/c...y/comparisons/

This is the site I looked at, too. I also need something on the shorter side. I ended up with the LadyCup, I like it.

I am going to second this site. It does help if you know something about your anatomy and flow needs. Most people can get by quite easily with an cup and just want to find something that is softer or shaped to fit their anatomy (narrower or shorter whatever). If you have an exceptionally heavy flow it helps to know which cups hold the most, there are only a few on the market that hold more and Diva, one of the most common, isn't one of them. Diva also happens to be quite long, longer than the two other cups I own which both hold far more. I find the Diva uncomfortable for example but can wear a cup with higher capacity that is wider because I have a tilted uterus, a cervix that sits forward and low and a short vagina. I also have a super heavy flow which is one of the primary reasons I switched to cloth and cups. My flow did not get lighter but at least I'm not rushing to the lady's every 20 minutes (thanks to my Meluna I can go between 2 and 4 hours but many people can go between 8-12 even with a smaller capacity cup). Other things to consider are materials, I am allergic to latex so no rubber cups for me. As well as stem styles. I hate rigid tube stems and while you can cut off a stem I love Meluna's ring stem. I also enjoy the colors though it isn't necessary obviously (I have a Fleurcup as well and am fine with the thin stem on it and love the purple). Just some things to consider and probably way TMI.

Spicymustard 02-16-2014 08:51 PM

I used the diva cup for a long time until I started having kids. Then things seemed to change down there. I used the chart linked above to help and ended up with a lady cup which is shorter than the diva cup which was exactly what I needed.

qsefthuko 02-16-2014 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iris0110 (Post 17247490)
I am going to second this site. It does help if you know something about your anatomy and flow needs. Most people can get by quite easily with an cup and just want to find something that is softer or shaped to fit their anatomy (narrower or shorter whatever). If you have an exceptionally heavy flow it helps to know which cups hold the most, there are only a few on the market that hold more and Diva, one of the most common, isn't one of them. Diva also happens to be quite long, longer than the two other cups I own which both hold far more. I find the Diva uncomfortable for example but can wear a cup with higher capacity that is wider because I have a tilted uterus, a cervix that sits forward and low and a short vagina. I also have a super heavy flow which is one of the primary reasons I switched to cloth and cups. My flow did not get lighter but at least I'm not rushing to the lady's every 20 minutes (thanks to my Meluna I can go between 2 and 4 hours but many people can go between 8-12 even with a smaller capacity cup). Other things to consider are materials, I am allergic to latex so no rubber cups for me. As well as stem styles. I hate rigid tube stems and while you can cut off a stem I love Meluna's ring stem. I also enjoy the colors though it isn't necessary obviously (I have a Fleurcup as well and am fine with the thin stem on it and love the purple). Just some things to consider and probably way TMI.

Maybe TMI but it was very helpful. I have tried both the size 1 and size 2 Diva cups. They both hurt me. The size 2 hurt so badly I couldn't sit with it and it was very difficult and painful to remove. I even seriously considered heading to the ER at the 12 hour mark.