Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Okay to give my weaned toddler breastmilk? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=544530)

Ooey 09-11-2008 12:04 AM

Okay to give my weaned toddler breastmilk?

Another failed attempt at getting the baby to take a bottle has left 4 oz of thawed breast milk that I have to toss if it doesn't get used in the next few hours. Do you think it's okay to put it in my toddler's sippy cup? Is that a weird thing to do :headscratch: I figure it's a shame to waste it and it's pretty good for her right?

Poor girl has been very politely asking to nurse every day for the last week (after 3 months of not nursing) and I keep having to turn her down because I don't think I could handle nursing a toddler and an infant. I feel like at least she would be getting some milk this way, that is if she would even take it from the sippy cup.

tasbaby 09-11-2008 12:16 AM

Re: Okay to give my weaned toddler breastmilk?

Sure! It's good for her whether she gets it in a sippy or straight from you.

sisterof10 09-11-2008 12:33 AM

Definitely give it to her! It's a great way to keep up her immune system and besides, it's not like she could possibly get stem cells from any other source of food. :) Breastmilk does a body good!

stephaniebrookeh5 09-11-2008 12:40 AM

Just do it !!! I would mix it with some reg. milk or yogurt :)

Ooey 09-11-2008 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stephaniebrookeh5 (Post 4743973)
Just do it !!! I would mix it with some reg. milk or yogurt :)

ah thanks great idea! She saw me pour it from the baby's bottle into her sippy cup and had this confused look on her face :giggle: then she only half tasted it and said no thanks! lol Yogurt is a great idea.

aimeejf 09-11-2008 08:34 AM

Sure - why waste it! Good idea of mixing it in with something else, too.

Ari+Eli 09-11-2008 09:00 AM

Absolutely!!! That's gold!!

cm.thomas 09-11-2008 09:59 AM

I've mixed it with milk for my older son before. I like him getting some extra anti bodies. :giggle: Of course, if he knew he wouldn't touch it so I have to be sneaky.

this_mel_rocks 09-11-2008 10:01 AM

Go for it. I did it. Chloe loved her cup of mommy milk when Grayson was nursing.

MamaBink 09-11-2008 11:51 AM

I've given my older son EBM before. I say go for it:)