Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Top ten reasons not to circumcise your son (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=622908)

Galatea 12-13-2008 02:09 PM

Top ten reasons not to circumcise your son

1. The foreskin is healthy tissue which would be the size of a postcard in an adult man. There are nerves in the foreskin which are NOT in the head of the penis and which only exist in the lips and fingertips.

2. The foreskin rarely becomes diseased and only requires circumcision in cases of cancer, gangrene, etc., like any other body part. And if a man should get a yeast or bacterial infection, as women routinely do at much greater rates, they can be easily treated with creams or medicine, as women are.

3. A baby's foreskin is easy to care for as it is adhered to the head of the penis with the same tissue that adheres your fingernails to your fingertips. You do not have to pull it back to clean it, and to do so causes scarring and damage. You simply wipe it off like a finger. When the foreskin naturally retracts (anytime between age 3 and puberty), the boy only has to swish it in the water to clean it. I don't know about you, but every boy I know has no problem getting that penis EXTRA-clean in the shower or bath!

4. Routine infant circumcision was started in this country in victorian times as a way to prevent masturbation. Dr. Kellogg, the main proponent, knew and said that circumcision removed the most sensitive part of the penis.

5. An intact penis provides more pleasure for a woman b/c of the gentle gliding motion which both keeps the woman's natural lubrication in the vagina and prevents chafing.

6. Only half of boys born today in the US are circumcised. This has dropped from a high of 85% one generation ago, and continues to drop. Worldwide, only 15% of men are circumcised, and those are all Jewish and Muslim. A boy is as likely to be made fun of for being circumcised as for being intact. Your husband's experience in the locker room is inapplicable 30 years later. In addition, with all of this information readily available on the internet, as your son grows, he will definitely know the difference and it won't be just rumor as it was for our generation.

7. Most circumcisions are performed without adequate anesthesia (even a nerve block doesn't get the vagus nerve.) Sugar water definitely doesn't dull the pain. Newborns are proven to feel pain more acutely than adults b/c of their nervous system immaturity.

8. The selling of foreskins from circumcision is big business. They are made into face creams. Is that where you want your son's body part to go?

9. The new testament specifically says that Christians are not supposed to be circumcised. See Galatians 5:6. In short, circumcision was the old covenant and Jesus the new covenant. There are even Jews who reject circumcision.

10. There are no other cosmetic surgeries that parents are permitted to perform on their children without the child's consent. If the child grows to maturity and still wants to be circumcised, he can then have it done, and b/c his penis is fully grown, the doctor will be able to tell how much to remove and the man will have adequate pain relief during and after. Though the parents may have aesthetic preferences, the child may not share them. (Do you listen to your parents' music or wear your hair like theirs?)

Here's a great video from a doctor about circumcision: http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...30319025&hl=en

earena 12-13-2008 06:04 PM

Re: Top ten reasons not to circumcise your son

My boy is but it was more for my DH, I felt bad for him. So glad this one is a girl so I don't have to do that again.

kristinc 12-13-2008 06:16 PM

this is great... i am going to make dh read this. thanks for posting it:-)

Galatea 12-13-2008 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by earena (Post 5749094)
My boy is but it was more for my DH, I felt bad for him. So glad this one is a girl so I don't have to do that again.

My dh was upset at first when I told him I wouldn't let our ds1 be circumcised. I felt bad for him, too, but figured it was better for him to get over it psychologically by himself (which he did, and he is now anti-circumcision). I understand how difficult it is, though.

BabyOsMomma 12-13-2008 10:28 PM

Good info. I have been anti-circ since before I was pg with ds, because of info like this, and a friend who didn't have her son circd. I have one bro who is and one who isn't, neither of them wanted me to have it done. DH was not with me, he was afraid that Liam would feel strange because he looked different than daddy. Really, it will probably not look like daddy's for a long time even if he was circd, so his argument was out. It took him a little while, but he is ok with it now. I am so glad we didn't. It is easy to care for and there was no worries about it healing, or not healing properly. (one of my big problems with it is that it can really mess up a mans parts if screwed up)

Nature didn't mess up that part of his body, why take a chance that someone else will.

Nanner99 12-13-2008 10:38 PM

I became anti-circ when preggo with my 1st boy. Dh was absolutely set on having Owen circed- until he learned the truth. Now he is totally anti-circ, even though he is circed.

This is one of those decisions in parenting that I am sure of and proud of.

I wish all parents made an informed decision on this subject.

gabesmamamadeit 12-14-2008 08:12 PM

Great info, can I borrow it to refrence for friends? It makes me so sad when I see or hear that a baby has been circumcised.

I'm so glad my DH gave in. Actually our midwife told is that insurance would not cover it because it is a cosmetic procedure and we couldnt have paid out of pocket for it either. I am glad.

Galatea 12-14-2008 10:29 PM

Yes, you may.

JollyHolly 12-15-2008 01:05 AM

DH isnt, and this baby wont be either! :D I couldnt do that to my baby anyway. I'm glad dd was a girl though, b/c I was NOT educated on the topic when I had her. She wouldve been if she had been a boy. God works in mysterious ways. :thumbsup: :)

NataschaN 12-15-2008 09:09 AM

Bravo!!!!!

May I add this to my flyer for expectant parents of boys that I hand out to inform them about the barbaric (IMO) act of male infant circumcision?

My husband used to be pro circ, until I showed him the facts.
So far I was able to educate a handful of parents who decided to not have their baby boy's circed. Hopefully I will add more to that list in the future!