Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   My baby's face is red all around her mouth, anyone know what this is? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=623670)

mamamay 12-14-2008 08:26 PM

My baby's face is red all around her mouth, anyone know what this is?

My 9 month old's face has been getting redder and redder all around her mouth for about a month. It started on her chin, spread to her upper lip area, and now is all around, like a clown. I'm not using new detergent, she doesn't use a pacifier, have been very careful introducing solids. Our doctor thinks it might be yeast, but I'm sceptical, it's a dry rash, and there's no sign of yeast in her mouth or on my nipples. We live in a warm humid climate, so I don't think it's chapping, although that's what it looks like.
Any ideas?

yogababes 12-14-2008 08:41 PM

Re: My baby's face is red all around her mouth, anyone know what this is?

Any lotions or soap in the breast area?? It could be contact dermatitis from nursing? It could also be spoon chaffing from feedings... Just a few ideas, And a good slathering of un-petroleum jelly could help ( or aquaphor) I hope she gets cleared up for ya mama

kristinc 12-14-2008 08:44 PM

food allergies make a red ring around the lips....have you changed anything in her diet in the past month???

mamamay 12-14-2008 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yogababes (Post 5756713)
Any lotions or soap in the breast area?? It could be contact dermatitis from nursing? It could also be spoon chaffing from feedings... Just a few ideas, And a good slathering of un-petroleum jelly could help ( or aquaphor) I hope she gets cleared up for ya mama

I do use soap in my armpits, do you think she could get contact dermatitis from soap residue while nursing? What is aquaphor and where would I buy it?

mamamay 12-14-2008 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kristinc (Post 5756727)
food allergies make a red ring around the lips....have you changed anything in her diet in the past month???

Hmmmm... I asked her doctor if it could be food allergy related and he said he did'nt think so, but she is an allergic baby, so I'm thinking that's a possibility. So far her only solids are avocado, banana, sweet potato, potato, rice, and apple, otherwise she's EBF.

Rosella 12-14-2008 09:06 PM

Margo had something similar and it did turn out to be chapping from the acid in drool from keeping her hand in her mouth while teething. We were instructed to keep hydrocortisone lotion on it and cover it with a waterproof layer of Vaseline or un-petroleum thing, to protect the skin. It did clear it up, but we have to keep a barrier lotion on at all times if she is really doing the drool. HTH :goodvibes:

kristinc 12-14-2008 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mamamay (Post 5756848)
Hmmmm... I asked her doctor if it could be food allergy related and he said he did'nt think so, but she is an allergic baby, so I'm thinking that's a possibility. So far her only solids are avocado, banana, sweet potato, potato, rice, and apple, otherwise she's EBF.

what food have you added for the first time in the past month??
also the banana is in the latex family, so it is possible that your babe is sensitive to that...and remember it also has to do with what you are eating....so maybe a food journal for you and babe to see is there are any connections b/w her rash & foods.

tallanvor 12-15-2008 12:16 AM

I second the allergy idea. I have a girl in my class at church who gets that when she has citrus fruits or koolaid.

MichaelaB 12-15-2008 03:13 AM

Sounds like eczema to me. We used aquaphor on my son's "mask" around his mouth and it cleared right up.

MammaBx3! 12-15-2008 03:46 AM

One of mine has topical reaction that sounds exactly like that to citrus (ascorbic acid). Does your LO drink juice at all? All juices have added ascorbic acid these days. Also, mine gets that rash when drooling/teething, because of his sensitive skin.

Our foods that cause that- tomato, vit c fruits, juices.

Aquaphor helps some. Wal-mart or any drugstore sells it, usually by the lotions in a tub.
G/L!