Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Sold / Traded / Gone (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   EVERYONE Please Read~ First Class vs.Priority~Turning Priority Envelopes INSIDE OUT! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=704829)

Sweet_Fantasy_Fox 03-25-2009 05:47 PM

EVERYONE Please Read~ First Class vs.Priority~Turning Priority Envelopes INSIDE OUT!

I wanted to get this information out as requested by our members to let everyone know this is becoming an issue for many members, please read and understand the laws regarding shipping packages and using the USPS. Turning ANY priority packaging inside out to ship anything BUT priority mail is Illegal, buyers often get stuck paying the additional fees just to receive their packages. If you need polymailers, they can be bought for very cheap on both amazon and ebay as well as through some of our wonderful ds mama's. If you have any questions, feel free to pm a mod or admin for further clarification.:thumbsup:
From The USPS Site
Using Express Mail service or Priority Mail service envelopes for other mailIf any Express Mail service or Priority Mail service packaging or packaging supplies e.g., Priority Mail tape to seal a Parcel Post package, are used on any other class of mail, the applicable Express Mail or Priority Mail price will be charged.
  • Misuse may be a violation of federal law.
  • Turning the packaging inside out to conceal the Priority Mail / Express Mail insignia is specific misuse that is not allowed.
Any matter mailed in these free boxes is charged the appropriate Express Mail or Priority Mail price, regardless of how the packaging is reconfigured (including being turned inside out, cut, shrunk, enlarged, etc.) or how the markings are obliterated.
Mail dropped in a Collection Box receptacle using inappropriate packaging (including, for example, mailing Priority Mail items in an Express Mail box) is either:
  • Sent on as insufficient postage mail
    OR
  • Returned to the sender
Treatment of this mail is based on the specific case as decided by the Post Office facility handling the mailpiece.
NOTE: The USPS provides some packaging and supplies free of charge for:
  • Priority Mail (Domestic) items
  • Express Mail (Domestic) items
  • Priority Mail International items
  • Express Mail International (EMI) items
  • Global Express Guaranteed (GXG) items

glupton 04-17-2009 05:49 PM

Re: EVERYONE Please Read~ First Class vs.Priority~Turning Priority Envelopes INSIDE O

Is this true even if it is reused/recycled priority packaging?

Like, for example, I receive a priority-mail package from someone and then recycle the packaging by turning it inside out to mail a package to someone else first class? :headscratch:

ETA: I tried to follow your link, but I got an error message. :(

cblurose 04-17-2009 07:41 PM

Re: EVERYONE Please Read~ First Class vs.Priority~Turning Priority Envelopes INSIDE O

I know everyone wants to recycle but the USPS does NOT want us to obviously. They have started printing on the inside so this can't be done anymore. Just get a new (free) priority bag and use it. :)

PatchworkPeddler 04-17-2009 09:01 PM

I just keep the priority mailing stuff I get and use it for my next priority package I have to send out. The first class things I use for first class. Etc.... My dad shipped a huge package by taping together a bunch of inside out priority boxes... I tried to tell him it's illegal but he didn't listen :banghead: so far no news though and it's been a couple months.

glupton 04-17-2009 09:15 PM

I mean, I understand you can't turn NEW priority packaging inside out to use for non-priority mail (that is wrong!)...but I don't understand why you can't reuse it for whatever you want once it has already been used to ship priority once. :headscratch:

Sweet_Fantasy_Fox 04-17-2009 09:18 PM

the priority bags may only be reused to reship priority packages, can not be used for first class or media mail as that is illegal. it is the law and we need to just follow with it mama's. I will see why the link is no longer working.

PatchworkPeddler 04-17-2009 09:19 PM

It's probably more of a precaution than anything. Lord knows EVERYONE of any kind of business at all are all starting to be as "environmentally" safe as possible, or at least pretend like it. No one can really PROVE that it was/wasn't new from them as opposed to used before and paid for priority before. KWIM?

If people don't stop using them, though, they'll stop giving them out for free. BOO on people like my dad :giggle2: I think he believes me now though b/c my mom saw something online about it and said "she was right" :giggle:

Sweet_Fantasy_Fox 04-17-2009 09:24 PM

ok the link is working again and it says boxes but goes for all priority mail, read the info please.:thumbsup:

glupton 04-17-2009 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweet_Fantasy_Fox (Post 6981018)
ok the link is working again and it says boxes but goes for all priority mail, read the info please.:thumbsup:

thanks. :thumbsup:

thekacshclan 01-13-2010 09:21 AM

im new to the shipping world... so, does this mean i cannot send DSwapper things in flat rate boxes? what is a "priority" package??? thanks...