Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Holy good Hummus (semi-homemade... no tahini!) (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=95887)

Manna00 02-05-2007 01:15 PM

Holy good Hummus (semi-homemade... no tahini!)

I got this recipe from a recipe book by Sandra Lee (Semi-Homemade on Food Network). I CAN get tahini... but it's so expensive that most of the time I don't want to spend the money on it....

This hummus is WONDERFUL... even if you've never liked hummus before... sooo tasty...

4 pita pockets, each cut into 4 wedges
Olive Oil cooking spray
salt and pepper

1 large clove of garlic (we have the kind already minced... I just use about a tablespoon and adjust from there)
1 can (15.5 oz) of garbanzo (chick peas) beans (I've only used rehydrated dried beans and they are wonderful)
3 tbs. sour cream (KEY INGREDIANT!)
3 tbs. lemon juice (it says fresh.. but I use the old crappy bottled kind)
1/2 t. salt
1/4 t. ground cumin (another KEY ingredient)
1/4 c. extra virgin olive oil

Put the pita slices on a cookie sheet, spray with olive oil spray and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook for about 5 minutes at 400 degrees.

Meanwhile, mince garlic (if you use fresh) in the food processor. Add everythign else... but save the olive oil. Process until ALMOST smooth. With machine still running add the olive oil until mixture is smooth. Serve with the pita chips still warm...

Holy macaral... this is soooo good... time to use up those WIC beans!!

The hummus can last in the fridge for 2 days if you cover it tightly... but I always rewarm the pita chips... it's not bad cold though!!

let me know if you try it!

masonite 02-05-2007 01:22 PM

Re: Holy good Hummus (semi-homemade... no tahini!)

I might have to try it.

I make hummus all the time, but usually use a standard hummus recipe. (It uses tahini!)

This would also be good with olives and roasted red peppers in it too! That's my favorite kind of hummus. Hmmmm... Maybe I'll go try this recipe!! :thumbsup:

worldwarcaitlin 02-05-2007 01:38 PM

ugh. we can't use sour cream because of DS's allergies. :( I wish I could find a good hummus recipe without tahini because everytime I buy it, I never use up the whole jar before it goes bad!

Manna00 02-05-2007 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tubeater (Post 711330)
I wish I could find a good hummus recipe without tahini because everytime I buy it, I never use up the whole jar before it goes bad!

That's what I'm screaming.. and tahini ain't cheap! I'd much rather "waste" a dollar tub of sour cream than a $5 jar of tahini. OR I can always have a baked potato with the leftover sour cream. Sorry to hear about your DS... I'm lactose intolerent and this doesn't bother me at all.

Mindi 02-05-2007 05:14 PM

I've never tried hummus but I'd love to! I may have to try this one :thumbsup:

katiejack 02-05-2007 05:40 PM

This looks really good! I make hummus but never with sour cream. I think I'll substitute plain yogurt and add black olives and see how it turns out! Thanks for the recipe!

Manna00 02-05-2007 06:32 PM

ooooh.. black olives.. now that sounds good... I love me some black olives.. especially on a tuna sandwhich!

bubblesteach 02-05-2007 06:57 PM

You girls are making me hungry. I think I'll try to make the hummus tomorrow. If I do I'll let you know how I like it.

beanmama 03-02-2007 11:43 AM

I finally tried this and it was SO good- we'll be making it often in this house! Love the idea of adding black olives, might have to try that next :goodvibes:

OneFabMama 03-02-2007 11:55 AM

MMmm. I'm gonna make this tonight!