View Single Post
Old 05-28-2010, 10:57 AM   #2
nicole999
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Lactational Amenorrhea Method

I am currently using this method but plan to have the Merena IUD inserted in two weeks. I can't say I follow all of those rules....my LO is four months old now and takes a pacifier, I do pump and give him one bottle every two weeks (just to keep him taking a bottle) and we don't co-sleep (I tried but I just can't sleep that way). However he is EBF, he still takes two night feedings and feeds every 2-3 hours during the day, I haven't had a period, we take a nap together most days (I actually just lie there and he naps) and I wear him quite a bit (although less than I did in the first three months). I am having the Merena IUD inserted b/c I realize now that he is sleeping more at night and sucking on his pacifier more that this method is less safe than is was for me the first three months....really I'm probably pushing my luck as it is....

FYI - these were the general rules I was given in a new mom class (taken from breastfeeding.com):
When is LAM no longer effective?

A woman who chooses to rely on LAM should be advised that the method is short-term (up to six months) and is no longer effective when any one of the three criteria changes.
The LAM user should be counseled to use another contraceptive method for continued protection when:

1. Her menstrual periods return.
Menstrual bleeding is the most important indicator of fertility. After the initial 56 days postpartum, two consecutive days of bleeding/spotting or the woman's perception that her period has returned, whichever of the two comes first, should be considered an indication that fertility is returning. A woman can ovulate before her period returns, however, studies indicate this rarely occurs when the woman is breastfeeding intensively and less than six months postpartum. OR

2. She begins feeding her baby other liquids or foods regularly, or her baby sleeps through the night.
Ovulation is suppressed in the breastfeeding woman as the baby suckles at the breast. When the baby begins taking other foods or liquids she/he generally suckles at the breast less, thus reducing the fertility-suppressing effect of breastfeeding. This is also true when the baby begins sleeping through the night -- long intervals between breastfeeds (more than four hours during the day and six hours at night) should be avoided. OR

3. Her baby is older than six months.
At about six months the baby should begin eating other foods as their nutritional needs change at this time. Usually the baby will breastfeed less when this happens, thus, LAM becomes less effective.

Any one of these changes will reduce LAM's high efficacy. At this time, the LAM user should be counseled about complementary family planning methods that do not interfere with breastfeeding.
Wife and best friend to loving DH , and mama to DS #1(4yrs) and expecting DS#2 (19/9/14

Last edited by nicole999; 05-28-2010 at 11:28 AM.
nicole999 is offline   Reply With Quote