View Single Post
Old 03-29-2011, 07:36 PM   #11
penelope picklebottom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: We need a vegetarian meals thread!

LOVE this thread. I'm not a vegetarian, but gave up meat for lent. I eat very little red meat and after watching food inc. I have a hard time buying meat of any kind from the grocery store.

Here are a few of my favorites

Chickpea Sandwich filling
1 (19 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
1 stalk celery, chopped
1/2 onion, chopped
1 tablespoon mayonnaise
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon dried dill weed
salt and pepper to taste

you can also add carrots, peppers or other raw veggies. I like to use whatever is in the fridge that needs to get used up.

mash chickpeas with a fork or put in food processor, chop veggies and mix all ingredients together an a bowl. Serve on tortillas, toast, with chips, the possibilites are endless. This tastes even better the second day.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Mexican...ad/Detail.aspx

I use this basic recipe but take the cucumbers out and add black beans and yellow peppers. Sometimes I add cous cous too, It's delicious.

Slop (this is what we call it at our house, there are many variations based on what we have on hand.)

firm tofu cubed and cooked in the skillet with a pack of taco seasoning
1 package spanish rice- cooked

in a large pot put some or all of the following- black beans, chopped peppers,onions, tomatoes,minced garlic and/or corn. Add the tofu and rice and cook until hot. Serve on flour tortillas or hard shell tacos. We top with shredded cheese, sour cream, salsa, cubed avocado..again whatever is on hand. The leftovers are just eaten from a bowl or scooped up with tortilla chips. This is my favorite easy dinner because you just throw everything in 1 pot.