View Single Post
Old 11-15-2012, 08:33 AM   #1
ashley84
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
What do I do with all our milk? I'm really confused.

I'm up to 750 freezer ounces. DD pretty much just nurses exclusively. Once in awhile she'll take a bottle when we're out and I don't feel like nursing in public. Meanwhile, I'm pumping an extra 20oz a day. We're buying an extra freezer because we're quickly running out of room to store. (That's going to make 2 fridges and 2 freezers for us!) DH has no problem with that though. He does think I should cut back on how much I pump because he thinks it'll go to waste in the end. I don't want to cut back though.

I like the benefits of pumping all this extra milk. I can eat like a pig and I still lose weight. I want to donate, but I'm really torn about. If I donated, I would donate mama to mama style. I don't want anyone to have to pay a bank for for my milk. I'm scared that my milk won't land in the right hands. I'm super protective and possessive about my milk.

I've read a ton of donation horror stories. Some people pose as moms with babies in need. Then they sell the milk that they were given for free. There's a high-traffic website where breastmilk sells for as much as $9 a ounce! Some people have watered it down and then sold it. That's just horrible! There are also perverts on there that want breastmilk for their sexual gratification. That makes me sick to my stomach.

I'm also afraid that a mama might decide they don't want to give their baby someone else's breastmilk and just let it go to waste after I've given it to them. I want it to be used. There's just so many ways it could go wrong. I would be so happy if a baby in need drank it all. I just don't know how to get connected in a trustworthy way.

I also don't know how much to donate. DS weaned himself at 13 months. I wasn't necessarily totally ready for that. I would have gone longer. I didn't have a freezer supply anymore. He didn't get anymore of my milk. I wanted him to get more of my milk. I would like to keep DD on breastmilk for longer - even if it's just via our freezer supply. How long can I really keep breastmilk in a deep freeze? She's only 6 weeks old. Can I really give her the milk we have now in year or more? Should I just somehow find a place for my 750 ounces now and rebuild my stash with fresher milk? I'm so confused about where to go from here. I spend way too much time thinking about it. What have other mamas done?