View Single Post
Old 11-17-2012, 09:19 AM   #16
mommabritt
Registered Users
seller

Location: Currently MO; but wherever the Marines send us. SoCal at heart.
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkrisel
I know each school is different, but at my school there is no way we would write up a seven year old for cheating the first time. I would deal with it in the classroom and not involve administration.

But I think the bigger issue is the lack of communication. You should have known his behavior was deteriorating before conferences. I would ask to set up a meeting with the teacher to put a behavior plan in place (including how and when you will be contacted). As a parent, you have the right to request a revaluation of his IEP and have him retested to see if he qualifies for special education. We also have a FBA (functional behavior assessment) to help collect sets on behaviors and form a hypothesis as to why a child is behaving a certain way - all behavior serves a purpose and meets a need. Sometimes kids need to learn replacement behaviors to meet a need in another way. A child does not need to have an IEP to have an FBA. I would see if your school has a similar process.

And I don't think that you are asking the teacher for patenting advice (and it's not her job). You ideally need to all be on the same page supporting your DS, but you are the parent and know him best. You should be valued and respected in the process. She knows the education side of things, but you are your DS's strongest advocate.

Good luck and I hope things improve!
I really do want an reevaluation for the IEP but his teacher has to approve it and I do not think she will. As I said before, she kind follows a strong handed approach to behavior issues and doesn't believe in catering. I agree with you that the lack of communication is a BIG issue. I was upset at the conference to learn he'd been acting up and I'd not been hearing about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsviola
I'm going to bet that while he knew it was a bad idea, he had NO IDEA the ramifications of his actions. I wouldn't be too harsh the first time, and definitely wouldn't have done a formal write up. I probably would have talked to him, taken his paper, and retested him during recess. A second time perhaps maybe a conference with the principal. But never the first!
I agree with it. He knew it was wrong but he does not understand the consequence. He would have responded well to sitting down and having an explanation of why its not okay and that he would be required to give up recess to retest. I also feel a written administrative referral was out of line and the situation was inappropriately handled.

I will be calling the school Monday morning to set up a meeting to discuss this with the principal and his teacher. I will be seeing a friend this afternoon who is also a teacher at DS school and will ask her professional opinion about it and what the procedures are on dealing with this it their school.

***IDSO Salt Water Sandals- White, Toddler 7***
mommabritt is offline   Reply With Quote