View Single Post
Old 11-17-2012, 08:54 PM   #28
mommabritt
Registered Users
seller

Location: Currently MO; but wherever the Marines send us. SoCal at heart.
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2abigail
I don't use the PS system, but I thought I'd offer my POV anyway. Disregard if it's not helpful. I have a 7 year old with some learning issues. We HS, and I've been able to work with her in different ways to help her, and I've never told her she's not smart/behind/ect. And yet, she knows she struggles. It is HARD for her. Especially writing and spelling. She would never be able to pass a 20 word spelling test. And writing the words 7 times wouldn't help her learn to spell them. It's just not how her brain works. She wants SO badly to do well, she wants SO badly to be able to spell correctly. She gets so frustrated when she writes and has to fix her mistakes. I can only imagine the pressure she would feel if she were made to test, keep up with writing the words quickly, and KNOW she wasn't doing well. I don't know that she would figure out how to cheat, but IF she had the opportunity, I think she would. And she is a very honest, hard working, overall awesome kid. Her desire to do good and please her teacher would outweigh her ability to resist the 'help'. I do not believe she has a character flaw at all, and, from what you've said about your son, I don't believe he does either. When kiddos have LD, it is SO hard for them to feel like they are coming up short or failing at something AGAIN.
I don't have any advice about what to do in this situation specifically, (although I do agree is was harsher that needed) but I'd definitely try for an IEP again. If it gets him the individual help he needs, he won't feel like he has to cheat to keep up. Plus, his teacher will have to abide by the IEP as well. I hope you find a good solution.
Thanks for your input. I appreciate your viewpoint. While he is a pleaser, he has a very short patience fuse and anything that takes a little effort (that he doesn't want to do) is a nightmare. He didn't have trouble with the words. He knew them, he didn't NEED to cheat. In that sense, if the words were indeed on the board even accidentally and he saw them, its likely he would have thought 'I'm gonna write them down so I can be done before everyone else!' That would have been characteristic of him.

As far as we know he doesn't see anything different about himself. In fact I have to be careful when I am trying to get him to tone down his behaviors in front of others because I don't want to make him feel like he is weird/or not normal. I want to protect him and he is socially awkward most of the time and just doesn't see it. Most people don't know of his special needs so they just think 'what in the world......?' Lol.

***IDSO Salt Water Sandals- White, Toddler 7***
mommabritt is offline   Reply With Quote