View Single Post
Old 11-19-2012, 02:01 PM   #1
katengrace
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Am I wrong in thinking that this is a bit much...teacher gift question

My oldest 3 are in school now, first grade, kindy and preschool. I always like to recognize their teachers' birthdays, and give them something for Christmas in addition to teacher appreciation week. We already got dd3's teacher a gift card for a mani/pedi this month and I had everyone's Christmas gift all planned out. I got them a monogrammed insulated cup that I was going to fill with candy and a $10 gift card to something they like, maybe Starbucks or Panera Bread. I also include the director of dd3' s school because we love her and she is so hands-on with the kids.
Anyway, I just got an email from dd3's homeroom mom saying that her teacher would like an iPad and if we could buy Target giftcards so she could buy one. Ummm, yea I'd like one too and would loooove a mani/pedi as well, but that is not in our budget. So, my question is does this seem like a lot to give a preschool teacher for Christmas? I mean dh and I don't even buy gifts for each other because money is so tight. And what should I do? Just say it's not in our budget or I already had something in mind for her teacher?
It seems to be a trend around here to spend a lot on teacher's gifts...last year I got strong armed into giving $20 for dd1's kindy teacher's wedding shower gift of a Kitchenaid mixer. Seems like when I was teaching I was lucky to get anything at all...
Thoughts?