View Single Post
Old 11-19-2012, 02:29 PM   #10
cheezpoofs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: S/O do you buy for more than just your own family for Christmas?

We sometimes buy for some friends.

Our family thing gets a little convoluted, though. We buy for our children, of course. We may or may not buy for each other. Hubby usually gets stuff for me and I usually don't get stuff for him other than a stocking full of treats (per his request on the other gifts, my insistence on the stocking at least). We buy for his parents and his sister. We do not buy for any of my family members. Every Christmas, our extended family (his cousins) have a Christmas Eve party. Now, they are all closely related (siblings and their families) and thus, buy for each individual sibling, brother/ sister-in-law, and niece/ nephew. They also all like to buy for our children, who are ten years younger than all of their own children. We simply cannot afford to buy presents for each and every individual here either, much as we would like to. We do buy family presents for each family and I am strongly considering doing cookie tins for each this year; though having done this before, I KNOW it is not a cost savings because I don't do basic boring sugar cookies. After all the ingredients are purchased, the cost is very similar to say a ten dollar box of candy per family. IF there were any polite way I could bow us out of the gift exchange entirely, I would try to do so; but I am certain that our family would still want to buy gifts for our kids and say that we didn't have to give anything. Then we'd feel like leeching grinches. So ours is really more of a token gift to each of them and hopefully, it has been enjoyed (it's generally something edible). We do really enjoy seeing them all at the party too.
Veann - Libertarian, atheist, bookworm, heavy metal Mommy to all boys: Lucius (2-13-09), Orion (4-22-11), and Castiel (3-4-13), wife to Matthew - Anti-circumcision, babywearing, somewhat AP, natural birthing/ homebirthing, don't care about being "green", doing things my own way...
cheezpoofs is offline   Reply With Quote