raymark
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: When to take infant to ER?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mekat View Post
I don't know about the rest of the US but the flu is in full swing here. I had to take my son to the ER for autonomic crisis on Saturday and by night time it was packed.

A hospital is a wonderful place to go when you need that level of help but unnecessarily taking a sick child with an immune system already taxed from fighting one pathogen into a room swimming with highly virulent pathogens is not a good idea.

I have called the nurses line many many times with way more serious issues then the op with my special needs child and they have always been able to accurately identify when a child needs to be seen and when a medical issue can be weathered at home. They are trained to screen for danger signs and refer to the ER when necessary.

They are only trained to give advise based on the info presented during the call. They are not able to mind read & understand potentially significant symptoms or medical history that the caller forgot, failed to notice themselves, or did not know to mention. And like any other profession, there are those who truly are horrible at their job, just having a bad night, or in a rush to finish with the current call so they can take a break & check on their own kids. The op stated that she didn't even fully understand the advise that was given to her by the nurse line.

The flu is not in full swing in my location, our ERs are not busy, and only a professional can diagnose the influenza virus. Was the ops previous bout with influenza actually diagnosed - perhaps it was salmonella? Regardless, having it yourself does not mean that when your child later becomes ill that your child has the same infection or that your child's body is fighting it the same way.

Infants are unable to touch most germy objects in a waiting room & it is so easy to request a face mask before actually entering any waiting room or to buy one on you way there to prevent your germs from spreading to others & theirs from spreading to you. I have no understanding of people avoiding medical assistance because of potentially becomming infected with something else. Just use common sense, take basic protective precautions, wash your hands a lot, and watch that your care provider washes hands every time before touching your child.

The op did not state the infants body temp, where he falls within weight & height charts for his age, if he is on any medications, or a host of other very important information - yet you feel confident in telling her to avoid the ER???

Last edited by raymark; 11-20-2012 at 11:38 AM. Reason: Spelling
raymark is offline   Reply With Quote