View Single Post
Old 11-20-2012, 02:12 PM   #29
ashley84
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: What do I do with all our milk? I'm really confused.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twood80 View Post
Because it's not the easiest thing to stumble across, I wanted to provide the Human Milk Banking Association of North America (HMBANA) milk bank website. This is for NICU babies, and they are collection sites that re-distribute around the country. If you live in a part of the country without a HMBANA site, many of these sites accept mailed donations (they'll send you an insulated box, you fill it with >=250 oz plus some dry ice from places like the grocery store's meat counter, and they pay for you to ship it back). If your closest site won't accept mailed donations, they'll connect you with the closest site that does.

https://www.hmbana.org/milk-bank-locations

The milk must have been pumped before baby is 1 year old. How many months ago the milk is allowed to have been pumped depends on a few things, such as how fast they are turning over (from what I've heard, it's currently quite fast, so many are able to take milk up to 7 months old, in the deep freeze).

Yes, theoretically they charge for the milk. But it's something like $3.50/ounce (to cover the processing fees), NICU babies aren't drinking a lot (a couple ounces a day at most?), it's been tested to be safe, the babies need it, and often fees will be waived.
Thanks for the link & info! I actually just left my number with the Mother's Milk Bank of Iowa. They supply all Iowa NICUs and provide milk to babies who have a doctor's prescription for it. The hospital I had both of my babies at is a drop-off site. That's super convenient for me. They also supply containers, which rocks because I go through bags like water. I'm going to get registered as a donor with them.