View Single Post
Old 11-21-2012, 03:47 PM   #19
Greenbabybottoms
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Anyone had previous shoulder dystocia & large baby- did you doctor suggest c-sect

Quote:
Originally Posted by steph410 View Post
what do you mean by red flags?

Do you mind if I ask if your son who was injured, was it your first child? Only asking because I wonder if having had multiple babies vaginally makes a difference to how a doctor would treat me.

I certainly need to discuss with my doctor. I know that BP injuries are quite serious and SD is very dangerous. I want to do the right thing, but if I can avoid SD through labor position or other means I would prefer that.

Not the poster you quoted but I can tell you what my midwives were looking for during my 3rd labor.
-Long labor with little to no progress for long periods of time (with my 2nd birth I kept stalling where I would not progress for hours at a time) I was in labor a total of 36 hours and before going into labor I was 5 cm.
- She did not descend or engage the way they would have expected her to. She did not engage in my pelvis until I had been pushing for 4 hours (and that was when they were putting me on the gurney to transfer me to the hospital). Before that she was still high,
-Long 2nd stage (I pushed for 6 1/2 hours with my second and 3 1/2 with my first). My second never got to the "crowning" point until they attached the vacuum. Once she engaged she just kind of stayed where she was for almost 2 hours. I pushed and she did not budge at all. With my first I was pushing and we could see her head but it just wasn't descending. We would see it try to descend but then turtle right back up.

Those are just some of the red flags they were looking for with me. I was fortunate that my second tolerated the dystocia very well, she was stuck for almost 5 minutes but still somehow maintained nearly perfect apgars. My first, though she was stuck for almost 1/2 the time did not tolerate as well and had low apgar scores and took much longer to get her stable.