View Single Post
Old 11-21-2012, 04:50 PM   #20
Greenbabybottoms
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Anyone had previous shoulder dystocia & large baby- did you doctor suggest c-sect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiliki View Post
Even with this, I still personally would not consent to a c/s.

Maybe it's brutally mean or something, but I'd rather risk having a newborn with a broken cervical - which will heal quickly, and they will not remember the pain - than have major abdominal surgery.
You had one with the issue, which was easily resolved, two without any issues, and then one with the same issue, which was (IMO) again easily resolved.

Your next 5 births could have NO dystocia. There's just NO WAY to know.

If there is a true emergency and your baby is crowning but is stuck in a major room, they can do a c/s at that time. But to plan for one, on the idea that something *could* happen that *MIGHT* not be able to be remedied any other way.... seems a bit unfair IMO.
I am in no way for jumping right to a csection but shoulder dystocia can cause complications much worse than broken clavicles. I think this tends to be the opinion of many, I was told by so many people when I was debating with my third what to do that a broken clavicle wasn't a big deal in a newborn. But they never seemed to acknowledge that there could be much worse outcomes with a dystocia.