View Single Post
Old 11-23-2012, 06:58 PM   #1
kocho
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Please help me be supportive

My 24 year old cousin recently had a baby and gave it up for adoption. We have always been close and my kids adore her. I'm trying to be as supportive as possible, but really don't know how to show my support.

She just had the baby on Tuesday. I went to the hospital and visited and took cookies. Flowers just didn't seem right. I got to see the baby, which was nice.

My kids don't know she had a baby. She's a bigger girl and didn't gain much weight, so they really never noticed. I really think they would have made things harder for her if they had known. So DH and I decided not to tell them.

She got out of the hospital yesterday. I took them Thanksgiving dinner and they seemed to appreciate that. But I'm not sure what else to do. She is a sweet girl. I want to be there for her in any way that I can, but I don't want to sufficate her.

I'm not sure if seeing my kids would make things harder for her or help distract her. So, I told her I was leaving the ball in her court as far as my kids go. She had a c-section, so I want to keep them away until she had healed as they tend to throw themselves at her.

The adopting family seems wonderful. And when I visited last night she seemed at peace with her decision. But she has a history of depression to the point of being suicidal and I am terribly worried about her.

Reading my post makes me feel like I pushed my way into their private moments, but my Aunt called and told me she was in labor, called and told me the baby was born and invited me over, called and told me they were home and I could bring on the turkey. My aunt, cousin and I are very close. I lived with them for awhile when she was little. My cousin is also very close to my children.

So, any ideas on how I can be supportive without being in her face? I really just want to be there for her.

My Avon Earn giftcards with Swagbucks My Blog - Change Jar Blog
kocho is offline   Reply With Quote