Old 11-23-2012, 06:04 PM   #18
VeganCupcake
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: BF'ing 1 and EP'ing for a 2nd?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrzP427 View Post
I told her about meeting with an LC and she made an Appointment with one for Monday. Her sons Pedi was the one who told her this. They "diagnosed" him at 4 days old for losing 4 oz while she was having bleeding at every feeding. Honestly I think they just didn't want to "waste" their time educated her on what to do and how to handle the whole nipple situation.

She started pumping again yesterday while giving him my milk, so hopefully she will start producing more milk. I told her to try and stick to the babys feeding schedule to pump. She is also trying to latch him on but its still causing her pain. I think he may be latching wrong or may have a tongue tie.
They diagnosed this problem at 4 days old? Most mothers don't even have mature milk at 4 days postpartum, and a baby's stomach is the size of a shooter marble at that stage. She has gotten very poor advice.

There is still plenty of hope that she will be able to EBF her own baby with some good quality help--emphasize that to her! If the first LC is not helpful, she should find another. LLL can help, too--leaders are always willing to help over the phone, and some will visit mothers at home.

Here is the IBCLC directory to help her find more qualified, certified LCs if she needs further help: http://www.ilca.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=3337