View Single Post
Old 11-26-2012, 04:54 AM   #3
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: looking for a recipe for chicken/turkey pot pie

Pot pie (Chicken or veggie) I am going to guessimate measurements because chicken pot pie is usually a 3 day process- 1st day roast chicken for dinner, 2nd day use roast chicken to make chicken and dumplings, 3rd day left over chicken and dumplings minus the dumplings used to make pot pie. I rarely make just pot pie.

oil and/or butter- we're dairy free so we use all oil
1 onion chopped/diced
2 celery stalks chopped/diced
2-4 peeled and chopped/diced carrots
3 or 4 med red potatoes chopped/diced
frozen green beans and or frozen mixed veggies (I usually do both so we have lots of veggies)
1-2 cups chicken broth (you could use cream of chicken and herb soup in place of broth and flour, just don't add water. Add only enough milk/broth/water to get it the right consistency)
2-3 tbsp flour
Chicken- as much as you like- cut and cooked, we use chunks left over from a roasted chicken
2 pie crusts

Heat oil in large saucepan. Add onion, celery, garlic, potato and carrot. saute until onion is translucent and veggies are starting to soften about 7 mins or so. sprinkle in flour and let cook a minute or so. Slowly add broth. Bring to boil. Add frozen veggies and chicken. Bring back to boil and allow to thicken just a few mins. pour into pie crust and top with another prick a couple of holes with a fork. bake at 425 for 25-30mins or until crust is golden and filling is bubbily.

Shepherds pie
left over roast meat (actually think its a good use for left over stew)
1-2 cups beef broth (or roast juice- I use beef broth, onion, garlic in my roast so i thicken it with flour to add to shepherds pie)
2-3 tbls flour
whatever veggies you want
mashed potatoes
ched cheese

Usually I just thicken the roast juice after we're done eating the roast. throw the roast pieces in and out in the fridge for the next night. It does need to be heated before cooking the pie though. So you can
add a little oil to a skillet. Sprinkle in flour and cook a minute. Slowly add broth. Bring to boil and thicken. Add any frozen veggies you want or do like about for pot pie using fresh veggies. Add cooked meat and heat. Pour into baking dish. Top with potatoes and sprinkle with cheese. Bake at 400 until bubbily and golden. 25-30 minutes for the pan we use.