Thread: Sleep training
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2012, 07:29 PM   #10
pacanova
Registered Users
seller

Re: Sleep training

Ok, I think I used the term "sleep training" wrong. Thank you ladies for not jumping all over me. I'm not trying to get her to sleep for a long/extended time or even at certain times/routine, etc. I just want her to be able to be laid down to sleep without her screaming. The daycare lady has 3-5 other kids at any time and won't always be able to hold/rock her to sleep.

Melinda - What you're saying is pretty much what I meant by "sleep training" - laying her down to sleep while still awake and soothing every 5 minutes or so if needed. Moreso just developing good sleep habits I guess. The problem I'm running into is that when I try that route, 25+ minutes after I lay a sleepy baby to bed, she's still crying. Obviously that's not working for any of us. I am not a fan of cry it out - we didn't do it with ODD and I don't plan to with this one.

She is swaddled and her bassinet is inclined. She wakes to feed every 1.5-2 hrs. I think the most she's ever slept was 3 hrs, so that's not a concern. We play during the day and keep the nighttime dark/quiet to help her differentiate the two. It's that "putting to bed awake" that's the problem. Last night, for example, she woke at 3:30 to feed. Ate well then fell asleep in my arms. I held her for 5-10 extra minutes to make sure she was asleep. 5 minutes after I lay her in her bassinet, she was wailing again (and I'm not talking about fussing, squiggling around - those sounds I ignore - this is loud, face turning red screaming). So I rocked her back to sleep... same thing. Over and over. 5:30 rolled around and it was time for another feeding. It wasn't until 6 that she finally stayed asleep when I lay her down.

I'm personally not comfortable with co-sleeping. We may have to try moving her to her own room and see if that helps. And get a white noise machine for big sister. I'm really just trying to figure out how to do the "put to bed while still awake" without stressing us both out. We have a mobile over the crib in her room. That may hold her attention until she falls asleep but then would she rely on that for falling asleep?
pacanova is offline   Reply With Quote