Thread: Sleep training
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2012, 06:56 PM   #11
my2sweets
Registered Users

My Mood:
Laying her down awake and leaving her to cry for 5mins at a time is sleep training-aka cry it out. Newborns usually need help falling asleep. At this point she just needs to get good sleep-even if that means relying on a swing, mobile, car rides,whatever. You have plenty of time to teach her how to fall asleep on her own later. Sleep habits(and falling asleep habits) dont form for another few months. As a newborn all she's getting is that she *needs* mama and mama is leaving her to cry for long periods of time(and 5mins is a long time for a 5wk old).

Dont get me wrong-I am not against cio. I used it-exactly how youre doing it now-with dd1. It really helps some children. Just not at 5weeks old.

You could always call her ped and ask for advice there. Has she been checked for reflux or an ear infection(if it started recently this could be why-they are very painful and more so when laying down)?

Swagbucks. Search. Earn. Redeem. Yep, it's that simple (I've earned $70 in gift cards and counting!).

Last edited by my2sweets; 12-04-2012 at 06:57 PM.
my2sweets is offline   Reply With Quote