View Single Post
Old 12-05-2012, 03:32 PM   #23
MsGiggles
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Toddler running from you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarchMama2010 View Post
OP, I love your siggy, we wood be good friends IRL, I think.

When DS was going through that phase, I would make sure to not give him the opportunity in dangerous places - parking lots, etc. He was in a cart or a stroller or I would carry him.

In stores, he lost privileges when he ran away, which meant that instead of walking he had to sit in the cart and get buckled in. We were very consistent with that, and he learned quickly. At other places, like the library, if he tried to run away we would just leave. It was a huge pain to go through all the work of getting ready to go somewhere just to turn around and go back home, but we only had to do that a few times and he learned not to run away in those places, as well.

You could tell them about the new rule, then specifically plan some outings at times like 20 min before nap or when you plan to stay home anyways, to let them out and test the boundaries of the rules. When they run, too-bad-so-sad and right back in the house you go!

I did this with DD eating snow outside - right before nap I would get her uber excited about a trip to the park, head outside and linger near a snow bank til she took the bait, then right back in while she tantrum-ed. A couple days of that and she was cured of snow-eating