View Single Post
Old 12-06-2012, 11:49 AM   #1
KLeeCW
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Anyone else have a hard time getting ssn for baby?

My DD was born at home on Sept. 17. Our midwife filed our paperwork for the birth certificate and social security number. We got her bc around 4 weeks. We called the ss office and were told that it can take as much as 12 weeks to get the card. Okay. So we waited.

DD is 11 weeks now. We called and were told that obviously WE did something wrong because they have no record of receiving anything and no number has been issued for DD. Whatever, we just want to get this taken care of. We were told to bring her birth certificate and the midwive's birth record to the office. DH went to the ss office to get the number and waited for 2 hours only to get to the front of the line and be told he needed to bring DD's insurance card or immunization record as proof of identification to get her social security number.

I mean, just to play devil's advocate, what if we didn't have insurance or didn't vaccinate? It's also my understanding that some insurance providers require a ssn. I just wish someone would have said something when we called because now we'll have to waste another day at the SS office and HOPE they don't give us the run around again. Now I'm wondering if my midwife really did send the paperwork or if they are just giving us a hard time because it was a homebirth.