View Single Post
Old 12-09-2012, 12:37 PM   #21
Layney82
Registered Users
seller

Re: How much drinking is acceptable when youre raising children?

My parents always had alcohol in the house when I was a kid and it was never a problem. They usually each have a small glass of wine with dinner and my dad often had a beer or martini on weekends when he was working around the house. They never got drunk and never drove while under the influence. If anything, they taught us how to deal with alcohol in a safe and healthy way. Starting when I was 14 or 15, they allowed me to have a small glass of wine at special dinners and holidays. As such, it wasn't a big mystery to me and I felt no need to experiment with it as a teen (or ever).

Now, as a parent, I will not have anything to drink if I am responsible for DS. If DH or my mom is around, then I will have a glass of wine occasionally (maybe once a month). I have a pretty low tolerance though, so never more than one drink and I won't drive for 12 hours after consuming any alcohol. DH doesn't drink at all, just because he doesn't like it and would rather have a soda.

My maternal grandfather was a terrible alcoholic and I've never let myself get drunk since I saw what pain alcoholics can cause their loved ones.
Layney82 is offline   Reply With Quote