View Single Post
Old 12-09-2012, 01:47 PM   #28
boysniris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: How much drinking is acceptable when youre raising children?

I grew up in a family that didn't do any drinking, smoking, or coffee, so as a child ANY of those things made me feel uncomfortable (I "knew" the people doing them were "bad" people)

Anyway, I drink coffee almost every morning now, and I have a glass of wine once in a while with dinner. Basically, if we open a bottle then I'll have a glass or two with dinner for a few nights until the bottle is gone (DH is not much of a drinker). Then we usually don't open another bottle for a month or more. Occasionally we'll have a beer, but that's only when one of us had the wherewithal to pick up an interesting beer while shopping. Generally we do not have beer, and the last time I bought beer was in early October b/c I saw Buffalo Bill's Pumpkin Ale at the store and thought it would be fun to try...we still have three bottles left I liked it but I treat it more like a special occasion I guess.

Sometimes I'll have a little something if I'm having like a super-mega-bad-awful afternoon w/the kids, but that's more b/c when I'm having a crap day then I am uptight-borderline-no-patience with them and it helps me relax and not be such a b---- to them This probably happens on a frequency of less than once/month.

And if we all go out to dinner, which is only a few times/year, I'll order wine or beer about half the time, mainly depending on where we are and what is available.

Mainly I want to teach them that they need to have good self-control and practice moderation. So that's what I try to do in both my drinking behavior AND how I talk with them about it.

I think drinking every night in front of kids is probably a sign that something else is going on I view it as something that you just don't do every day, firstly b/c it's expensive and lots of empty calories. Once or twice a week or special occasions seems like the most I would consider to be "healthy". Maybe a little more if a person is dealing with a short-term stressful situation (like one to two months). Beyond that, no, I really don't think it's acceptable and the person should seek a healthier way to deal with or handle their problems.

boysniris is offline   Reply With Quote