View Single Post
Old 12-10-2012, 09:55 PM   #8
Made of Fleece
Registered Users
Formerly: cidcatrichards
seller

Re: Does this seem normal or should I get my child checked out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaSueCongdon View Post
We had him evaluated for sensory issues and he did some OT to help him learn some self regulating skills. You could call around and see if she can be evaluated by your local earl intervention program. It's free and they're required to do an evaluation and provide services if your kid qualifies. They could give you some perspective on what's normal for that age and what tools might serve her if she needs assistance.
OT = occupational therapist? I didn't know they worked with toddlers in that kind of stuff. That actually reminds me, our state has a "first five" program that is free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASMama711 View Post
For the most part, that sounds normal for two. The problems in the middle of the night would worry me if they continue, but not if it was an isolated incident. How are her language skills? Toddlers are more likely to tantrum when they're frustrated by not being able to express what they want.
Re: waking at night. This became actually a reguar occurrence lately. And it's usually about 2am'ish. Sometimes it seems like nightmares. Most of the time I can hold her and rock her back to sleep (only me, not dad). But sometimes she's completely inconsolable and we're up til dawn. Her language skills are fine for her age. She signs and chatters a lot. And I can understand that her language lags behind her other developmental capacities, but they are still advanced enough to understand when I say: "no, mirror CAN'T close in half" or "too much in box, CAN'T close cover". It's like she thinks I'm intentially witholding some magical physics-defying feat from her.

Oh and by the way, I'm like 2 weeks from my due date with baby#2 and people say toddlers can get extra clingy. I'm also mostly bed-ridden and can't hold her much, so 50% of her tantrums are "uppy, mommy" (wants to be held, and not just held, but held some distance from the ground, and not just that, but walked as well). It's like she thinks I'm intentionally witholding affection or care.