View Single Post
Old 12-12-2012, 06:49 PM   #1
Almacham
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
How do you prepare your older child for vaccines?

*Disclaimer - I used to be very anti-vax and now I'm not. *shrug* I'm not going to defend or promote that view point to anybody, and I am not going to disparage anyone else for not vaccinating. My mind is made up. Just putting that out there. *

My son will be 6 on Friday. Tomorrow he is going in for his first set of shots during his school physical. He got one hep b vaccine at birth. Otherwise he has not been vaccinated whatsoever.

He's got Aspergers Syndrome and freaks out/goes into meltdowns very easily, especially when he is faced with the unknown or the unexpected. So I feel like it is better to actually tell him before he goes to the doctor, that he will be receiving a shot that day. I don't want him to have a full blown meltdown right there in the office because he feels like I deceived him and he doesn't know what's happening.

My son also absolutely freaks out over pain, which is why I'm dreading it. I mean, if he falls down and bangs his knee, he will let out this ear piercing scream and sob for 10 minutes straight that he has broken his leg. He has a huge amount of anxiety concerning pain, and he acts like any amount of pain is amplified 10x in his mind, when it happens to him. I have type 1 diabetes and he knows I take shots daily but I don't think that will make any difference to him, because it's like he understands and doesn't really care that the shots don't hurt me - he'll be much more concerned about any shots that are given to him. He just has that disconnect with other people's feelings and well being, you know. That's why I'm just kind of lost as far as how to go about all of this. If it were one of my girls it'd be real easy to say, "Hey, you know Mom gets shots every single day - it really isn't scary" and they'd settle down immediately.

How do I prepare him? What do I say? How do your older children handle it when they get their vaccines? Do you do anything special for them - give them pep talks, pain meds, act like it's no big deal and hope they play off your attitude towards it, give them a treat afterwards?