Registered Users
Formerly: mumma1010
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Preparing a sibling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle View Post
My first was 18 months when #2 came along. It was hard for me to balance everyone's needs, but the good news is that neither of them remember being an only child. If he is content now, he will likely remain so. Mine was happy with a handful of cheerios on the coffee table and some blocks and the occasional video while I nursed the newbie. He learned patience and gentleness. I didn't make a big deal out of him not being the only child anymore, we just were very matter of fact about the baby joining our family and that's just how families worked.
This - there is a golden age when they don't remember being an "only" and the transition only takes a wee bit of time. 18 months and 6 years is a big difference. I have 3- and 6-year-olds with a new one any time now, and I am least worried about my 6-year-old. He gets the "mom needs quiet time" idea, and I anticipate that he will be the biggest help, as he is already a great helper. We homeschool too so I always have him with me, which I think helps.

OP - I think you have done as much as you can, just remember to be flexible and make sure you have one-on-one time with your DD after the baby comes. Even if it is 10-15 minutes of "snuggle and chat" time in the evening while your DH bathes or rocks the newbie.