View Single Post
Old 01-16-2013, 04:05 PM   #2
DesertRat
Registered Users
seller

Re: Let's talk childhood obesity....

I think it's a general lack of understanding nutrition. Because of a couple medical issues with my children I read a lot of labels and I've learned a lot over the last few years. My biggest concern is sugar. Our bodies take the carbohydrates we consume, turn them to glucose for energy and then store what's leftover as fat. And sugar consumption has gone through the roof in recent decades. Plus, eating lots of sugar and refined carbs makes us crave them even more. I think a lot of the obesity epidemic has to do with sugar and refined carbs (as opposed to healthy fats like butter and whole milk). We need to get back to eating whole grains and fruits and vegetables.

A lot of people consider yogurt, fruit snacks, granola bars, etc to be healthy, when they are mostly (or loaded with) sugar. So much of what's in the snack aisle has little to no nutritional value.

Also, people don't cook as much anymore. And everything that's processed (or mostly processed) is often loaded with sugar, preservatives and lacks the nutritional value that fresh foods have. We've traded convenience for health.

I don't know what the answer is, except that I think we need to be pro-active and learn about nutrition for all our health's sake. We can't buy into the marketing "low fat" and other crazes, when really the food isn't healthy anyway.

I'm not perfect and won't deny there's plenty of junk in my pantry. But I am proud of the fact that my kids love fruits and vegetables and they will snack on them when offered. I try to limit the processed stuff so that they will choose healthier stuff by default.

Last edited by DesertRat; 01-16-2013 at 04:08 PM.
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote