View Single Post
Old 01-16-2013, 04:25 PM   #20
ajane
Registered
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Let's talk childhood obesity....

I just don't understand how people need to educate themselves on nutrition to prevent their kids from being overweight.

How do us parents fail so bad at being so ignorant on what we should be feeding our children?

How can a parent send a bag of doritos, fruit by the foot, and a candy bar and thin that is a lunch for a child?

I'm just baffled.

We are not a non junk house. The kids get McD's once a week, however they don't get fries. DD2 is the only one who actually likes them, so we let her have a few....meaning 5-8. We do eat somewhat healthy, only whole grains, lean protein, fresh fruits and veggies, dairy. We do limit sweets and treats and the kids can have chips with their lunch at home (we don't send them to school), but they get 4 or 5 chips. We teach them moderation. They do get lots of exercise though.

We only buy whole grain breads, pastas, cereals. I can't imagine giving them white bread or white starches. When we have a potato they always get sweet potato. In fact, since they have never had white potatoes they don't even like them....baked, mashed, ect.

The last episode of BL, the one obese child said he played video games 9-12 hours a day. HOW do his parents let that happen? I.just.don't.understand.