View Single Post
Old 01-16-2013, 05:34 PM   #27
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Let's talk childhood obesity....

I agree with much of what DesertRat and Kiliki have said. I also would like to add two more ideas:

1) We have been looking at that stinking food pyramid with the huge chunk of grains on the bottom and have gotten the idea that we really need that many carbs going into our bodies. The new myplate is better, but still not quite there yet. With the amount of exercise most people, kids included, get these days, we don't need that many carbs.

2) We as a nation have forgotten what healthy looks like, because so much of what we see is overweight, obese, or morbidly obese. We can ALWAYS find someone larger than we are so we must not really be overweight. And it is more common to see someone overweight than at a healthy weight or underweight. If we went to a foreign country, they would all look skinny to us.

ok one more thought
3) Portion sizes. We are clueless as to portion sizes. Even in restaraunts, we get large portions of meat and grain/carbs and smaller portions of veggies when a real serving is just the opposite volume wise.